Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing app: where it is? how do I put it in the Dock?

I wanted to move the icon for Word in Office:mac to the Dock for easier access to it. I clicked Office and then dragged the Word image to the dock. It disappeeared. Maybe it went into the TRash? I cannot find it in the trash. I cannot find it in Office:MAc application either. How do I get it back and how do I place a COPY on the dock?

New to macs.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), free transition Snow Leopard to Lio

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 6:17 AM

13 replies

Aug 8, 2011 6:47 AM in response to CT

How did I get to the Word app? There is an applications folder on the dock. Inside that is a Microsoft 2011 folder. Clicking on that produces a number of icons or aliases or whatever they are called in Mac-ese. One of these has a big W for Word. I do not have a sidebar on the left of the Finder Window.

Aug 8, 2011 7:28 AM in response to softwater

Yes, thanks, I read Captfred post and also replied to it that it did not address my issue.

Update: I found the Word icon in the Trash. Don't know why it did not appear before when I looked but it did now. What id did was to delete something else, and then click on Trash, and I got a window that included the missing W. Right clicking on the W image leads to a "Put Back" option. That puts the W back in the Application.

So how come the Spotlight did not find it before? Spotlight finds it now that it is back where it was. Does that mean spotlight does not search in Trash? Is there a way to customize spotlight so that it will search in the trash?

I was also able to get the icon into the dock and customize it with the option "keep in dock"

So final question: where is there a video or manual that goes into enough detail about Trash that it would include the information that there is a "Put Back" option? I am not asking because I want to know how to put something back. I am asking because that is a detail that was left out of everything I have seen before. Including a manual by Apple called portable genius. So if a manual or video mentions Put Back then that is a clue that is thorough and comprehsnsive.

missing app: where it is? how do I put it in the Dock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.