Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fixed my safari issue in Lion

First, I gave it the old college try and really tried to get it to work for me (reinstall, removing all extensions, click2flash, opening empty window on new tab, disabling restore windows on open, minimizing tabs open, etc.).

I found the only fix was to move to the bloatware known as Chrome. Sure it eats more memory which is why I never went there in SL, but it doesn't hang my machine even when memory gets down very low and is stable.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 11:22 AM

6 replies

Aug 8, 2011 12:38 PM in response to Lexiepex

I only went to Chrome, which I always considered a notch behind Safari all along, after exhausting my time and options on what I normally dedicate for new OS Version learning / debugging. Like I said, I gave it the college try.

I see nothing wrong with telling people what worked (and did not work) for me and what my resolution was. If I hurt someone's feelings by suggesting not to use Safari in the short term, I apologize, but I thought this forum was meant to help people to find the right solution on Lion (even that solution is not a piece of Apple software).

Aug 8, 2011 12:39 PM in response to Lexiepex

Click2Flash is almost an essential extension though. What I actually found was disabling plugins in preferences really helped with many issues.

Really, you only need plugins for the page you are looking at, right? If I have 20 tabs open, I don't care if flash runs on tab 19, especially if I'm looking at tab 3, for example.

Chrome:

Not a good choice, perhaps the OP should have dug deeper. Chromium is the open source version that does not contain the GoogleSoftwareUpdate daemon, which is a great plague upon this world.

Safari seems to be so unstable because ha-ha-ha it's writing tons of data to the filesystem. Hopefully it's going to the American govt, and not mine, since I can't turn that off without absurd measures. I'll take them, though.

Fixed my safari issue in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.