6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2011 1:17 PM by LexSchellings
Tony Politano Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

First, I gave it the old college try and really tried to get it to work for me (reinstall, removing all extensions, click2flash, opening empty window on new tab, disabling restore windows on open, minimizing tabs open, etc.).

I found the only fix was to move to  the bloatware known as Chrome.  Sure it eats more memory which is why I never went there in SL, but it doesn't hang my machine even when memory gets down very low and is stable.

• LexSchellings Level 5 Level 5 (6,715 points)

Hi Tony,

when I read you well, you did not fix the safari issue, but you are using an other browser.

You wtite "removing all extensions" but after the comma you say "click2flash" which is an extension.

I don't follow.

• Tony Politano Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

Sorry.  Did not have any particular order in there.  Just read as many threads as I could and then tried them in various combinations (i.e.  no extensions at all, only click2flash extension, etc.)

Well, a lot of people have had enough help to solve their Safari issues in Lion. The meaning of this forum is to help people, not tell them to run away form their problem by using another browser.

BTW Chrome has a lot of problems too. Your post is not very friendly for all the people here who try to help.

• Tony Politano Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)

I only went to Chrome, which I always considered a notch behind Safari all along, after exhausting my time and options on what I normally dedicate for new OS Version learning / debugging.  Like I said, I gave it the college try.

I see nothing wrong with telling people what worked (and did not work) for me and what my resolution was.  If I hurt someone's feelings by suggesting not to use Safari in the short term, I apologize, but I thought this forum was meant to help people to find the right solution on Lion (even that solution is not a piece of Apple software).

• beckford Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Click2Flash is almost an essential extension though.  What I actually found was disabling plugins in preferences really helped with many issues.

Really, you only need plugins for the page you are looking at, right?  If I have 20 tabs open, I don't care if flash runs on tab 19, especially if I'm looking at tab 3, for example. 

Chrome:

Not a good choice, perhaps the OP should have dug deeper.  Chromium is the open source version that does not contain the GoogleSoftwareUpdate daemon, which is a great plague upon this world.

Safari seems to be so unstable because ha-ha-ha it's writing tons of data to the filesystem.  Hopefully it's going to the American govt, and not mine, since I can't turn that off without absurd measures.  I'll take them, though.

Right. I prefere Safari also.