Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VNC connection to an iMac running Lion from Windows - very slow

Before switching from Snow Leopard to Lion I used Vineserver on my Mac to access it using VNC. VIneserver does not work in Lion, so I decided to try the built-in server (screen sharing)

After multiple atttempts and tweeks I managed to connect to the Mac using TightVNC on my windows machine, however, it is a very slow process. After connecting, I get a strange looking gray screen, with 2 fields asking for my userID and password. The response from the Mac is extremely slow, and sometimes it freezes up all together. If and when I get through that first screen, and I finally see my desktop, things speed up a little, but it doesn't come close the speeds I achieved with Vineserver. The new login screen is what makes it almost not usable though. Does anyone have a similar experience - or a solution?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 12:51 PM

10 replies

Aug 12, 2011 12:48 PM in response to Hannes Hofer

I've been having the same issue with the VNC login screen with every VNC app I try. Sometimes I get through that initial login where I have to enter my password, but about half the time it just freezes up and I need to close my VNC app and try again. The last time though, I then couldn't even connect to the computer at all until I got to work and restarted the computer itself. Once I get past the intial login screen, thinks are okay. This has been very frustrating.

Aug 27, 2011 1:46 PM in response to Hannes Hofer

This issue is caused by a difference in the way Lion handles screen logins.

You must change the way you log in so that the client uses Mac OS X sign, on the Mac OS X user and Mac OS X password and not a VNC password.

On the Lion machine that is acting as the server to remote to, have screen sharing on but untick the two boxes in the Computer Settings area as shown in this screenshot:-

User uploaded file

This set up works well with my Lion Mac using Mocha VNC iOS client and gives a very usable response across the internet from my iPhone 4.

Before I made these changes I could barely log in.

Feb 2, 2012 4:58 AM in response to Hannes Hofer

I have same problem - very, very slow response just for that signon screen - and it's sporadic. I just have to close and retry until I get success. Has anyone solved this problem yet (as there's nothing posted since Aug 29 2011)? Once I am successfully signed on, it's ok.

I am not using an iPhone so leefromaynespark's suggestion is not relevant. I am using VNC Personal Edition for Windows P4.6.3 - from Windows. (I had to use this version to overcome a security issue.)

Apr 10, 2012 1:37 PM in response to Hannes Hofer

Vine worked well for me, thanks Hannes.

The Lion in-built screen sharing was painfully slow which seemed to be caused by the high resolution & colors of the shared screen. I could not find a way to adjust those setting through the Lion VNC setup.

Vine installed quickly and easily. When connecting using VNC viewer, it allows me to scale down the colors through the connection settings on-the-fly which makes the response time much faster depending on what I need. I am going with Vine for now.

VNC connection to an iMac running Lion from Windows - very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.