Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hex values in DigitalColor Meter

Hope someone at Apple sees this.

DigitalColor Meter needs to display Hex values, it's really important for people setting up websites, I got really suprised to see you've removed this, please add back in in upcoming release.

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 1:32 PM

7 replies

Aug 8, 2011 6:54 PM in response to Colin Robinson

Hey Colin

I know that, I just wanted to put it "out there" so other people can add on to this request or see your reply and send in feedback as well 😉

but I do think some Apple employees are looking at the forums, just to get a feel of the community, they might be silent...but yeah.

Feedback have been sent, if more people I agree with this post I think they should also send in a feedback, perhaps with my text and a reference to this post.

it's a very very useful tool web doing web development on the mac, and taking away the Hex code just doesn't make much sense, I hope it's just something they overlooked and not puposely pulled out.

Aug 31, 2011 9:27 AM in response to Dan1el

This is one of the great hidden gems of Mac OS X. I can still recall the procedure i used in Windows XP to get the functionality of this application:

1. take a screenshot
  2. open Paint
  3. paste image
  4. use color picker tool to select pixel (very tedious)
  5. open the color palette to see your selected color
  6. in pre-rgb() CSS days, calculate each hex equivalent

Needless to say, that procedure is ridiculous and when i stumbled upon DigitalColor Meter in my early Mac days i was pleasantly surprised. But I am disappointed that the Color Menu is missing from Lion. I often used Copy Color as Text (⇧⌘C) to copy the hex string to the clipboard.

Please, Please, Please, bring this back. Little gems like this are what make Mac OS X so great. Removing this functionality is a step in the wrong direction, sooner or later I'll be back at the 6-step Windows procedure and looking for a new OS.

Hex values in DigitalColor Meter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.