Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AddressBookSourceSync wants to use the "login" keychain

I upgraded to Lion last week. Ever since, I get the following message about once every 15 minutes:

User uploaded file

Needless to say, this is very annoying. I've dug a bit, but don't know what might be the cause.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 2:18 PM

7 replies

Aug 8, 2011 2:54 PM in response to Marc Wilson

I am aware of what keychain is, how it works, and that something wants access to data stored within keychain. The problem is, I am prompted for my password by this component every 15 minutes, which is annoying (i.e. when watching video), disruptive (i.e. when trying to do work), and ultimately unacceptable. This sort of behavior is reminiscent of Windows XP's constant notifications for routine things I couldn't care less about.

It feels like this component might have something to do with the new iCloud services. Either way, I'd like to figure out how to modify the behavior.

Aug 8, 2011 3:29 PM in response to Brian Miles

Brian Miles wrote:

This sort of behavior is reminiscent of Windows XP's constant notifications for routine things I couldn't care less about.

What, exactly, does Windows XP notify about?

Its controlled by a LaunchAgent. Looking at its plist, it supports push, which must be why its running, and syncs with MobileMe (or something called 'dot-mac'), Exchange, and some other things.

Oct 21, 2011 9:01 PM in response to theatreguy65

The problem re-appeared for me with 10.7.2 and iCloud. I finally realized that long ago I had set my login keychain to lock after 15 minutes of inactivity. I disabled this, and am now not bothered by AddressBookSourceSync asking me to unlock the keychain. (though I still have it set to lock when sleeping.)

You can change your settings by opening Keychain Access, then Edit > Change Settings for Keychain "login"...

Good luck.

Dec 9, 2011 8:55 PM in response to Brian Miles

NEWEST SYMPTOMS AT THE TOP:

I got Macbook Pro, 17', Customized to the Max, 512 SSD, 8GB RAM, 2.5 i7, andThunderbolt 27' Display. I received it on 11/14/11…

Initially I noticed spikes in Fan Speed/Noise. The Genious Bar ran 2 Levels of the Hardware test and told me that my Macbook Pro, 17', 10.7.2. was great, no hardware issues at all… Yet, my Fans still get Fast and Loud!!!

It looks like I have a similar Symptoms in the Activity Monitor:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3402237?answerId=16543183022#16543183022

The "suspects" are seen at around 100% of CPU in Activity Monitor

AddressBookSourceSync 100% +

SafariDAVClient and SafariSyncClient - +/1 100% , but then, when MBP is Quiet, it drops to around 30%

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3204349?start=0&tstart=0

and Mail sometimes spike from 3-8% to almost 90%!!!

PREVIOUSLY:

Hardware is fine : both tests - at the front counter and in the back

Fans were about 5000 RPM and LOUD!!!

I was just working on my iTunes Library and did a few Syncs to iPhone 4S, Safari was Open with 4 or 5 Windows and 7-8 Tabs in each, also open were: Mail, Address Book, Preview, System Prefs, Text Edit.

I noticed that the Battery wasn’t charging!

I Unplugged Power Cable that Connects to Thunderbolt Monitor, and the Fans were still loud!

Battery showed 90% Charge!

Then Unplugged iPhone!

Then Opened Mail!

Then Plugged Power back in

Battery showed 83%?, and started Charging!

A few minutes later, with only Mail, Safari and Systems Prefs running, Battery shows 80% Full, Calculating, but Not Charging, Power Source Power Adapter

Display was changing between Charging Calculating and Not Charging, while Power Source Power Adapter is acknowledged!!!

Fans RPM = 4916-5011

Quit Safari - Display = 80% Full, 40 min to Full Charge, Fans soon became Quiet 2188!!!

Flash Plug-in Re-Install? Cause it’s Eating CPU?

Will try Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) again:

Control Option Shift

EARLIER:

After Restart, Macbook Pro, was Quiet, than got Loud when I re-openned Safari, and showed that it was NOT Charging, then Charging Again, then Calculating, then 85%, then Not Charging, then Calculating!!! The Fans got LOUD to 5400 RPM, as Battery was Charging and Not!!!

Activity Monitor: Flash Player (Safari Internet plug-in) = 160 - 175% CPU!!! - Re-Install???

Next Step: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

• Last Modified: June 25, 2010

• Article: HT1379

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

I didn’t hear the repeated chime, and saw the Welcome Screen with International Greetings! It scared me! I held down Power to Shut Down! Restarted OK!

Safari 10 Windows and w/ multiple Tabs Open:

W 1 = 9 Tabs

W 2 = 15 Tabs

W 3 = 25 Tabs

W 4 = 5 Tabs

W 5 = 13 Tabs

W 6 = 11 Tabs

W 7 = 9 Tabs

W 9 = 7 Tabs

Brought it don’t to 3 Windows

90% Full - Charging, then Not Charging as I was working with Safari Windows!!! Flash Plug-in?

Zapped PRAM 3 Chimes, Restarted.

Opened Mail - Fan is Quiet

Opened Safari - Fan went crazy, Not Charging, then Quiet

Not a Happy Way to go to bed!!!

Uninstalled & Re-Installed Adobe Plug-in - still same problem =

Opened Safari - Fan went crazy, Not Charging, then Quiet

11/28/11:49 AM: CHARGED AND QUIET - 2000 RPM = SAFARI NOT RUNNING!!!

Safari On - RPM Spiked to 4000 then dropped to 2500, Flash Player Plug-in = 106% CPU

Still Spikes in Fan Noise - Speed!!!

Am I not supposed to do Command S to Save when I was Editing my Mail Notes?

Spikes whenever I do Command S in Address Book!!!

Dec 31, 2012 1:14 AM in response to Brian Miles

Same here. One day I notice that my Macbook Pro (early 2011) has its fans spinning all the time. I thought it might just be Borderlands 2. But now Borderlands 2 has slowed HORRIBLY. I am thinking it's a heat problem, but even in an airconditioned room, the symptoms are the same and the fans are just on full.

The culprit?

ADDRESSBOOKSOURCESYNC !!!!

How can such a seemingly harmless process bring a thousand dollar computer to its knees?!? REALLY Apple. Someone NEEDS to be fired. Scott is already gone, so what idiot is stuffing up now?

SOLUTION: KILL THE INTERNET. I did this by disabling wifi. Sure enough, Activity Monitor shows Addressbooksourcesync give up whatever it's trying to do (which is still a mystery: what IS it trying to do that takes up over 50% of the CPU time!?!?!). On some occassions I force quit the process and it never shows up after you've had WIFI disabled.

Disable WIFI before killing the process, else the process will just resurrect itself from the bowels of application process he11.

Still, I'm not impressed with Apple having us disconnect our internet every now and then, just to kill a rogue process. How they can stuff up so hugely ... it's beyond me. Insert "Steve wouldn't allow such a thing..." cliché here.

AddressBookSourceSync wants to use the "login" keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.