Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Display On and Off -- Very Strange

Hello,

I'm using a Macbook Pro which was purchased in 2008.

A few weeks ago, my laptop screen blacked out while I was using the Internet. I knew that my laptop was running because the audio was playing but the screen basically blacked out. Apple ran a test and said it's a logic board failure and the graphic card is still working fine. I've been using my laptop via an external monitor but my laptop screen started working all of a sudden just a few minutes ago. ... But it blacked out for a minute or two and started working again. Maybe it's only a matter of time before it blacks out but why is this happening? Any ideas?

It's very strange.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 4:53 PM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2011 5:03 PM in response to user2011

Hi u,

I don't know if this applies to your MBP or not, but if so, grab a screen shot of the PCIe Lane Width if it's less than x16.

You may have the NVIDIA issue. First, go to System Profiler > Hardware > Graphics/Displays and see if you have the GeForce 8600M GT GPU. This is the GPU covered under the free repair program. While there, also look at PCIe Lane Width. If it says anything other than x16, the GPU has issues. If you have the 8600 GPU, bring the MBP to an Apple Store or AASP for free testing.If Apple's free test confirms the issue, repair is free. Read all aboutit here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Aug 8, 2011 5:25 PM in response to tjk

Hey,

Yes, mine is the GeForce 8600M GT GPU.

When I brought my laptop to Apple the first time, they said it's a logic board failure and takes over a thousand dollars to replace it, therefore I might as well get a new laptop. So I went home and came across the article which you cited, and showed it to Apple. At first, they accepted it for repair but upon evaluation, they said that the issue with my Macbook Pro display is not the same as the issue in the article (the faulty component by NVIDIA isn't the cause of my laptop's display failure), so they can't repair it for free. Is it really true or do they just want the money?

Aug 10, 2011 9:30 PM in response to user2011

user2011 wrote:

Hey,

Yes, mine is the GeForce 8600M GT GPU.

When I brought my laptop to Apple the first time, they said it's a logic board failure and takes over a thousand dollars to replace it, therefore I might as well get a new laptop. So I went home and came across the article which you cited, and showed it to Apple. At first, they accepted it for repair but upon evaluation, they said that the issue with my Macbook Pro display is not the same as the issue in the article (the faulty component by NVIDIA isn't the cause of my laptop's display failure), so they can't repair it for free. Is it really true or do they just want the money?

I have no way of answering that.

Screen Display On and Off -- Very Strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.