Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emptying Trash Folder

It seems like I'm just missing something here. When I try to empty my trash folder in mail (running Lion) I open the list and select "Erase Deleted Items" I receive the prompt about do I know this is permanent and cannot be undone. I click on "Erase" and nothing happens. Is anyone else having this problem?

It's definately not the end of the world but the trash is piling up.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 5:28 PM

8 replies

Aug 8, 2011 5:38 PM in response to drtime3r

OK, I don't know what I was thinking. This is definately my worst post ever.

First of all, I didn't mention I was talking about mail in my subject. Secondly I didn't mention that I was specifically trying to empty my google mail trash folder in lion mail.

That having been said I think I will start another discussion after doing a little more research.

Richard

Aug 8, 2011 5:51 PM in response to drtime3r

Well, I don't associate my Gmail account with my Mail (purposely), so I'm not sure, but have you tried emptying the trash on the Gmail website/your account - that should work if it's an IMAP account. If it's POP, I don't know. If no one else chimes in, you might also want to check out their help/support section to see if you can get an answer there.

Aug 8, 2011 5:54 PM in response to babowa

Babowa,

I checked my mail preferences and noticed that for gmail the box is checked to store deleted messages on the server. Are the messages that are appearing in the trash folder in mail actually stored on Google's server?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your checking out my pathetic post:(

Regards, Richard

Aug 8, 2011 6:19 PM in response to drtime3r

Well, as I said, Mail is not really my forte, but I do know that if it's an IMAP account, messages are stored on Gmail's server forever (unless you delete them there). If it's POP, then they would be deleted according to your settings - however, your ISP may have rules which override your settings. My ISP - Comcast - is an example: I have it set to delete immediately upon download, but they keep them for a month anyway; if I go to my account on their website, I occasionally delete whatever is there.

In the meantime, I had another thought: do you have the Gmail trash folder active/open when going to the file menu and choosing to empty? (rather than any other folder)

Emptying Trash Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.