Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Remove "Define with Dixio" context menu item?

I installed Dixio Desktop for Mac, a "smart" (their word) dictionary app by Semantix. I didn't like it, uninstalled. But the menu context item "Define with Dixio" just sticks to the system, i.e. it appears almost everywhere I can pull a context menu out of. I tried every method, reinstalled, uninstalled with TrashMe, AppRemover but it just didn't work. I also tried the tip to look into service folder to look for this particular item but there's nothing related in there.

Any one can help this desperate soul out here? Any hint would be greatly appreciated!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 9:32 PM

Are you sure you installed all of it? Look in your ~/Library/Services directory (and /Library/Services ?) directory for anything related to that stuff.

At any rate, in the Finder, Services menu, Services Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts tab, look for the contextual item "Define with Dixio" and uncheck it if it is there.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2011 9:32 PM in response to khaister

Are you sure you installed all of it? Look in your ~/Library/Services directory (and /Library/Services ?) directory for anything related to that stuff.

At any rate, in the Finder, Services menu, Services Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts tab, look for the contextual item "Define with Dixio" and uncheck it if it is there.

Aug 8, 2011 9:52 PM in response to khaister

While in finder click the Finder menu.

You will see a Services (hierarchical) menu, select that.

In the Services (sub)menu you will see Services Preferences... menu item. Click that.

A window opens which shows two tabs at the top; Keyboard and Keyboard Shortcuts. Click Keyboard Shortcuts.

You will see two panes, left and right. Click Services in the left pane.

After clicking Services on the left you will see a list of checkboxes under different categories on the right. I'm not sure under which category your "Define with Dixio" would be listed. Maybe Text or General but look through all of them.

If you find your "Define with Dixio" uncheck it.

Aug 11, 2011 4:53 AM in response to khaister

Dear Dixio user:

The Semantix Support Department explains how to remove the Dixio Desktop extensions after the application is deleted:

• Open a “Finder” window, click on the left on the machine’s main hard disk (it is normally right at the top in “Devices”).
  • Open the “Library” folder and then “Contextual Menu Items”. In that folder, delete the “DD2Ctxt2.plugin” file.
  • In “Library”, open the “Services” folder and delete the “DDService4” file.
  • Then either end the user session and log in again or reboot. The process is now complete.

If the above did not solve your problem, please let us know so that we can help you. We are constantly working to improve Dixio Desktop and are grateful for constructive comments from our users.

We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for understanding.

Regards,
The Dixio Team
support@dixio.com

Can't Remove "Define with Dixio" context menu item?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.