Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to run my System?

Ok, I just purchased FCS2 and shall have it before the end of the week (up until now I have been using FCE 4). I have also ordered two G-Tech hard drives (one D-DRIVE and one G-RAID) because my MacBook Pro is brimming with stuff and I've all but used up my internal 232GB drive.

I want to lump all of my (lets call them domestic) files onto my G-Drive (1tb) and all of my video (my work) onto my G-Raid (2tb). Now initially this throws up the following questions:

What is the best way to Run my system? Most likely I will still be using FCE 4 whilst using FCS2 because I do love it. But how do I shift all my files without messing up my projects I've created in FCE 4? At the moment all my FCE 4 documents are saved in "my documents" on my computer. Is it best to re-locate this folders to the G-Raid as I assume this is where all the raw video is placed once captured? Also when saving a project in FCE 4 or FCS2 should I save it to my desktop (like I always do) or the G-Raid drive along with the FCS2/FCE4 documents.

There is also the question of Time Machine. I've never used it as these are the first external hard drives I've used. I don't really want it set up on my work hard drive but it might be ok on the G-Drive? However the initial plan was to lump everything onto the G-Drive as to clear some space so my system works faster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:14 AM

6 replies

Aug 9, 2011 2:51 AM in response to kevtim

kevtim wrote:

Most likely I will still be using FCE 4 whilst using FCS2 because I do love it.

The FCP interface and workflows are essentially the same, FCP just supports more video formats and has a few other bells and whistles. So that would seem illogical to me. Also: FCP should open your FCE projects just fine.

kevtim wrote:

But how do I shift all my files without messing up my projects I've created in FCE 4? At the moment all my FCE 4 documents are saved in "my documents" on my computer. Is it best to re-locate this folders to the G-Raid as I assume this is where all the raw video is placed once captured? Also when saving a project in FCE 4 or FCS2 should I save it to my desktop (like I always do) or the G-Raid drive along with the FCS2/FCE4 documents.

It is not so much where the project files are stored but where the media is stored. An external drive (in your case the G-RAID) should be set up as scratch disk. This drive will hold all the media that the project file points to as well as render files etc.

When you move media files is where it gets tricky. You will need to reconnect the media that FCP has lost track of.

mish

Aug 9, 2011 3:38 AM in response to mishmumken

Ah cool, so I might as well remove FCE 4 from my system then? What about iMovie, I still have that on my system but I have never used it. Should I remove that as well once FCS2 is set up?

Reconnecting media is what I'm worried about. I have had to do it once before at uni. Seeing as the two projects I want to move to the external are both over an hour long as well it might be a tad difficult. Would I have to shift through every single file to reconnect all the media or is there an easier way to do this? It is important that I can put it all on the external however because I will need to move it around whilst working with other people.

I just want to be clear also. FCE4 saves Audio Render Files, Autosave Vault, Capture Scratch, Render Files, Thumbnail Cache Files and Waveform Cache Files in "Final Cut Express Documents" which is located in my "Documents" on my computer. By setting a scratch disk I assume all these files will be saved to my G-RAID? is that correct?

Kind Regards

Kevin

Aug 9, 2011 6:44 AM in response to kevtim

If you've moved all the media for each "Project A" into the same location. When you reconnect the media for that project there will be a check box that reconnects all the files in the same location. Same will go for "Project B" and so on.

kevtim wrote:

By setting a scratch disk I assume all these files will be saved to my G-RAID? is that correct?

Correct. I would Copy the "Final Cut Pro Documents" folder first. That way it will keep the projects you have in their respective scratch folders. Then once you open up Final Cut point your scratch disks to the "Final Cut Pro Documents" folder that you just created. Then get to reconnecting.

Personally, I leave the Cache folders and Autosave Vault set to my Internal drive so that my autosaves are backed up by time machine.

Aug 9, 2011 7:17 AM in response to ToddNashville

Is it wise to set up TIme Machine on the G-Drive for personal stuff? However I kind of wanted to free up some space on my mac by deleting (not just backing up) files? I've never used Time Machine so I'm not 100% sure what it does.

I don't want anything but my videos saving to the G-RAID so I assume setting up time machine on the G-RAID is not an option right?

Kind Regards

Kevin

Aug 17, 2011 3:27 PM in response to ToddNashville

Disaster strikes! Ok I have installed FCS2 with no problems at all. I have set up my scratch disc and preferences. However... I tried to load up my old final cut projects, but I get the message "File format is too new for this version of the application"????

This is very, bad, I cannot access the sequences I have worked so hard on!

Any ideas on how I get them to work. I'm on my knees, arms outstretched to the sky shouting NOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks

Kev

How to run my System?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.