Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot run Chkdsk on my Bootcamp NTFS partition, help?

I have a new bootcamp installation on a Mac Pro 4.1. I am running OSX 1.6.5 and the latest Bootcamp, and Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

I need to run Chkdsk on my Bootcamp drive. I schedule chkdsk in Windows, so it should run when I reboot the computer, after the Windows logo shows during boot. But instead I get a blank screen for about 40 seconds, and then the machine reboots, and goes back into Windows. So Chkdsk does not run.

Any ideas on how to get Chkdsk to run on this machine. It has crashed a few times so I know I need to run Chkdsk, but can't.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:12 AM

7 replies

Aug 9, 2011 10:24 AM in response to tuckers_kahuna

A Windows utility I use for Chkdsk is Glary Utilities Pro. It can run Chkdsk without rebooting via the System tools/Windows Standard Tools section. You can download and try it for 30 days so there is no cost to evaluate.

I have used many of the features on Win XP, Win Vista, and Win 7 with no problems.

Check it out here:

http://www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/glary-utilities-pro/

Aug 9, 2011 11:34 AM in response to dalstott

Never install anything when you have any doubt or suspecion about the health of the directory and file system.

I keep a spare Windows OS drive for emergency so if there is a problem I can manage, repair, or just restore.

The best way to check for bad sectors: the vendor has their own disk utility.

I don't know of any 3rd party I trust as much.

Aug 10, 2011 12:22 PM in response to tuckers_kahuna

1) You could run a "Dirty Check" from RightClick->Command Prompt: Selecting as Administrator
keying command: fsutil dirty query c:

More info here, maybe elsewhere from inet search
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/scheduled-chkd sk-scan-hangs-at-press-key-within-1/7077c1d0-2fa1-4731-9c2f-e17641e34e4e

2) I am guessing that your default boot is Windows.

I cannot run Chkdsk on my Bootcamp NTFS partition, help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.