Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro screens goes black after opening lid from sleep

My wife's new MacBook Pro 15" screen goes black after opening lid from sleep mode. When you first lift the screen, it comes on as expected but then goes black, with the keyboard still backlit so it thinks it is on. I can repeat this. It seems that if we wait for about a minute then push down on the trackpad the screen will come on then act normal.

This behavior started after we upgraded to Lion this weekend.

Any ideas? Is this a Lion problem?

Thanks.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 7:28 AM

12 replies

Oct 21, 2011 1:39 PM in response to bigkahunaintx

This seems to be a known problem and there is a huge discussion thread going on found here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083?answerId=16475622022#16475622022

I think it's mainly the Late 2010 - 2011 models but i have a Late 2009 17" MacBook Pro and mine is doing the exact same thing as yours, only after i upgraded to Lion, never in Snow Leopard.

This article, last updated by Apple on October 12th, says that the affected models are the MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2010 - however the paragraph above says affected computers were manufactured between April 2010 and February 2011.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4086

Jun 2, 2012 4:15 PM in response to bigkahunaintx

I am having the same problem, and using KandleJ's solution tends to fix it, but I usually have to do the brightness trick several times, because it'll go black again right after I put the brightness up.

I definitely think this is a software/firmware issue, since this NEVER happened before Lion, and unlike all the complaints I saw in that thread, my macbook is the white 13" mid-2008 pre-unibody Macbook running Intel GMA X3100 144 MB Graphics Card. I think this goes beyond just the Macbook pros.

Jun 4, 2012 2:21 AM in response to bigkahunaintx

Hey, I've had the same problem now for some time too. It only happens when I've left my Macbook Pro (late model 2011, 15") with the charger plugged, and screen down, for a longer period of time (like over the night).

First thing I tried was changing the screen brightness, and it did not work. I have internet sharing on, so that might be the cause, I haven't tried to un-check it.

What I found out to work for me though, is to open up the screen, wait for it to go black, unplug the charger, and plug it back in.

If someone has a permanent solution for this, I'd be happy to hear it!

Jun 13, 2012 8:18 AM in response to bigkahunaintx

My Problem:

MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.4

With the computer on and lid open everything is fine.

Next close the lid (computer goes to sleep)

Next open the lid (computer wakes)

Anywhere from 5-30 seconds later the computer goes back to sleep (with the lid open; strange!)

I just called apple and got my problem fixed.

My Solution:

Shut down the computer.

hold down shift-control-option and press and release the power button. (nothing appears to happen)

hold down shift-control-command-P-R and press and release the power button; keep holding down those 5 keys until you hear the start-up sound twice then release the keys.

Problem solved for me.

MacBook Pro screens goes black after opening lid from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.