Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail, any ideas why ? old attachment show paperclip but none since Lion installed.

Attachments no longer show in th eattachment column in Lion Mail. Attachments prior LIon showing with the paperclip.

None showing after the install.

Any ideas Why ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 8:50 AM

6 replies

Aug 15, 2011 11:36 PM in response to David_HK

The day I installed Lion was the last time I got a paperclip in the attachment column of my Sent mailbox.

I archived 90% of emails (867 of them) then i got 10 paperclipped messages in the ones that were left.

But not all of them.

10 of the items left in the mailbox then got this paperclip

But not all.

Why? Help anyone.

Aug 16, 2011 10:30 PM in response to rfc143

I moved from Microsoft's feature-rich Entourage mail recently to bring my email into the house of Apple to get more Apple mobile stuff like iPhone --- and synchronise it all.

But since coming to Mail I have read so much that says Apple Mail is so rudimentary, and has so many problems including this and many others. And they reach back into Snow Leopard.

Apple Mail is such a poor relative of all the other Apple products it seems like it is in anohter time zone.

I hope Apple realise that some people (or increasing numbers maybe) will migrate to Apple Mail just to pick up synchroniicity off iCloud, for their laptop and iPhone. so they can service their email on the move away from the desk.

Also I hope they realise that a significant part of their market is serious professional people who rely on Apple Mail as infrastructure which is as important a electricity, gas, and the water. We can't live out here without email any more. Why migrate to a flaky neglected utility?

How can Apple let these problems lie for year after year and just concentrate on flogging music and video to kids(and, well, me occasionally).

In the next year I will have to decide whether remaining loyal to Apple (since 1988) is the way to keep going, or to buy the Google Android product, go Gmail and use their cloud co-ordination.

Goodbye iPhone hello Samsung.

Aug 22, 2011 2:25 PM in response to David_HK

Ditto here.

New MacBook Air runnin Lion 10.7.1 and Mail 5.0.

Mail view is in classic mode, not organized by conversation.

The Inbox mailbox has the attachments column showing and eMails with attachments show-up with a paperclip.

The Sent mailbox also has the attachments column showing, but no eMail ever display a paperclip (even though many have attachments).

Went to the GeniusBar this morning and the guy had never seen this problem before. He created a second user account to see if it was related to my user configuration, but he got the same result.

He went into the back to reproduce the problem on a "vanilla" machine but came back 10 minutes later saying that they only had Snow Leopard machines in the back on-which to test and the problem does not appear to exist in Snow Leopard.

He declared the problem a bonifide bug and wrote up a report on a webpage and then asked me to fill-out some personal information on that page.

Research in this community area shows that this was a a previous bug, in 2009, that appears to have been corrected and has now resurfaced.

Looks like we'll have to live with it for now.

Apr 3, 2012 4:16 AM in response to ktemkin

I'm still on Snow Lepard, but have been having this problem for a couple of years. My particular problem relates more to the INBOX not showing the paperclip icon for incoming messages with attachments.

I finally was able to create a work-around. It's simple and effective: Create a "bogus" rule in the Rules section of preferences.

User uploaded file

Ok, what I did was create a rule that checks each message for attachments, but put a condition that is almost never met. This causes the message to be filtered by the rule, and the incoming messages show the paperclip icon. I know the issue is a bug in Mail, but this workaround is quick, simple, and effective. Please let me know if you have any luck with it. Works like a charm for me.

Apr 3, 2012 6:11 PM in response to q99D7_

It works! It works!

I did it to my Sent file as well ⚠ and applied the rule.

It instantly painted in papersclips that were missing.

Thanks for

- taking the time to paste this solution.

- presenting the workaround with a link which I found 100% easy to follow.

My thanks also to Apple for running the forum and emailing me months after I entered my problem.

Brilliant solution. Recommend this to everyone, so easy to do.

And non-invasive to the eye. Invisible.

I swapped to Mail from Entourage and it already worked well enough to stay with it.

Now a major problem has gone.

Mail, any ideas why ? old attachment show paperclip but none since Lion installed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.