Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell 3100cn driver

Since Lion had dropped the Rosetta drivers, has anyone found a work around for installing the printer drivers for a Dell 3100cn laser printer in OS X 10.7 Lion?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 9:11 AM

26 replies

Aug 12, 2011 6:45 PM in response to MSPpiper

I have the same printer and had similar issues.

A few notes of interest - it now works fine using the Generic PostScript Printer driver, however I did have an issue with it only printing in mono. This was resolved by using the web browser interface (use the http address of your 3100cn) and then go to

Printer Settings (on the very left)

Printer Settings (of the tabs that appear)

PCL Settings

Colour Mode (the last option under PCL Settings)

For some reason Lion had set it to Black but once set to colour everything is back to normal!

Oh, and just in case you need to know the 3100cn ships with the default password settings

User name: admin

Password: password

Dec 28, 2011 5:36 PM in response to Bluemoonin

Would you mind clarifying how to find the http address of the 3100cn?

I think I really need a specific driver because I'm having no luck printing envelopes from my Dell 3100cn's Multipurpose front feeder using the Generic PostScript printer driver since upgrading to Lion. The printing is offset (as if it expects the envelope to be fed at the right of the front tray instead of in the middle).

Dec 28, 2011 5:49 PM in response to ashland_A

To find the http address...

Apple Logo>About This Mac>System Report>Printers

The highlight the 3100CN and the http address should be listed under URI

You can also look at the attached devices from your routers interface!

As for the printing envelopes issue - the Dell is quite picky but with a little patience and a lot of envelopes then trial and error will produce results, although I have to be honest and admit I use Labels & Addresses as it's a very convenient, Dell-friendly piece of software!

Dec 28, 2011 6:07 PM in response to Bluemoonin

Thank you for the helpful instructions. I found it:

usb://Dell/Color%20Laser%203110cn?serial=XXXX

It sounds like I should paste this into a web browser's address bar? I tried that with Firefox and Google Chrome and alas, they tried to do web searches or couldn't find the address of interest. I also tried replacing usb with http.

I apologize... I'm obviously missing something...

Dec 28, 2011 6:48 PM in response to ashland_A

This shows that your printer is connected via USB, not via the network so it will not have an IP address.

As for your issue with the Generic PS driver and printing envelopes, this will be a limitation because of the Generic PS driver does not support special printer features like stapling and selecting envelopes from the stack bypass (multi-purpose tray). I also believe that it does not support the size of the envelope you are using, hence the offset of text. You may need to look at an alternate driver to the Generic PS, or at least locate a PPD for this model of Dell (or a similar model of Lexmark as I believe they make the Dell printers).

Dec 28, 2011 7:06 PM in response to PAHU

Did some googling a found a PPD for your printer. Here's the link. This is the PPD saved in a GZip format. You can copy this file to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources. Then you can open the existing print queue you have for the Dell and select Options & Supplies > Drivers. If the system allows you to change from the current Generic PS, drop the menu and click on 'Select Printer Software". With the window that appears, type Dell in the search window and see if the 3100cn appears. If it is not there, cancel this and do the same action, but this time select Other instead of Select Printer Software. This will then give you the ability to browse to the folder above to add the printer. With this PPD selected you can OK the change and then check that you have the tray and envelope sizes you need.

Dec 29, 2011 1:00 AM in response to PAHU

Oh my goodness!

PAHU, you solved my problem! It works brilliantly now!! Took 5 minutes to follow your instructions using the PPD you described and envelopes are printing like a charm.

I'm 9 months pregnant and was finally able to print out the envelopes for my baby announcements... priceless! I am so grateful for your help!

Dec 25, 2012 9:26 AM in response to Chris Cogdon

I did a little work and have a solution for all of us out ther with a 3100cn and no more rosetta. I installed 3100cn on Leopard to utilize rosetta, then figured out what files were needed. I extracted those files, put in on Mountain Lion and packaged it into an intaller file. I can now install Dell drivers for 3100cn that works with Mountain Lion. I'm trying to figure out where i can post it so i can share with all... this hase been driving me crazy since Rosetta went away. I will post a link for the file when i have it in an online location to share.

Jan 19, 2014 5:07 AM in response to MSPpiper

About a year ago, I actually found a solution to solve the Dwll 3100CN no updated mac driver issue. Using an older Mac OS that had rosetta, I installed and copied the exact dell driver files from the original installer. Then, using Mac developer tools, i repackaged those files into an updated intel compatible installer. I can now install the dell drivers on my mac. Even works with Mavericks. The original drivers work great, the problem is only that they installer packager is too old. I contacted Dell and told them what i did and even gave them the new installer file and all if the information. They wrote me back and thanked me, said they would have engineers review, but I've never seen a driver update posted on Dell.com. Anyway. if you want the updated installer package just send me a message and I will get the installer to you. Always glad to help fellow Mac users.

Dell 3100cn driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.