Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Hiutil' using all my CPU?! :/

Hello everyone, i heard that the process 'hiutil' was to do with indexing spotlight or something but it's been using 100% + everyday for periods of about 30 minutes since i upgraded to lion (the day it came out in the uk). I hoped it would eventually stop happening but it doesn't look like it will so is there any way i can disable it? I don't even use spotlight that much so it's kind of annoying...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 11:50 AM

man hiutil

hiutil is for creating and examining .helpindex files.

5 replies

Aug 9, 2011 12:20 PM in response to Jonny F

Launch the Activity Monitor app in /Utilities, select that process, and Quit it. If that doesn't do the trick, report this issue to Apple's engineering. Send a bug report or an enhancement request via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, register as an Apple Developer—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report or enhancement request. You'll get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering.

'Hiutil' using all my CPU?! :/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.