Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st generation time capsule 'ambers out' with increasing frequency...

Basically the title, but it seems that after several hours, my Time Capsule (1st gen) will just amber out. I can still do things locally and I'll get a 'double NAT' warning. That's all fixed once I unplug and replug in the TC, for a while that is.Then eventually, it'll 'get tired' and just amber out with the same warning. Basically, it's fast becoming very difficult to keep a working rythym since it's constantly going down (when green, throughput is great - 5MB in from the WAN and full(ish) gigabit ethernet locally). It's on a plant ledge with plenty of air flow and it doesn't ever seem TOO hot (just warm) so I doubt it's an overheating issue, but who knows.

Anyway, who knows?

Thanks!

Time Capsule 1st Gen.-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 12:07 PM

3 replies

Aug 9, 2011 12:16 PM in response to Steven Richason

The Time Capsule is telling you that you do not have it configured correctly to work most effectively on your network.

Double NAT is usually an indication that you another router "upstream" from the Time Capsule....(you might call this device your "modem", but it is likely a router). This can cause network slow downs and IP address conflicts.

Both your "modem" and the Time Capsule are trying to perform routing duties. You only want one device on a network to handle the routing chores.

If you want to pursue this further, what is the make and model number of your "modem"?

Aug 9, 2011 12:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Not sure what the model is... I've been using this modem for about 7 months and the TC since about 2008 (I believe). Haven't had any issues up until recently. I did notice that I can get back online if I ONLY reset the TC versus resetting the modem and TC - if I do it that way, it still blinks amber.

Anyway, I can check that later. Thanks.

1st generation time capsule 'ambers out' with increasing frequency...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.