Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Lion keep re-ordering my Launchpad????

I am trying to like Mission COntrol and Launchpad. Really I am. But....it's just not easy. In fact, I could probably even get to like Launchpad....if Lion would just stop moving things around every time I am not looking.

I spend time organising icons in Launchpad to fit the way I work, but the next time I sit dow to do something, Lion has moved them around to other places. It seems to leave the sub-levels (sub-folders? whatever you wish to call them) but at the root level, eveything is moved to a random scatter.

Anyonew know how to stop this from happening?

....sT

2.66 8-Core Nehalem - 8G RAM, 7.0TB storage, ATI Radeon HD 4870, Mac OS X (10.7), Nikon D300s/F100/F2

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:22 PM

11 replies

Aug 18, 2011 2:26 PM in response to SimonTemplar

I suspect you've got Mission Control set to "automatically rearrange spaces based on your most recent use." To fix this, open System Preferences and go to Mission Control. Once there, click off the appropriate check box. After that, the reordering should stop.

If this works, I'd appreciate it if you come back and click on the Correct Answers icon.

Good luck.

--Mark

Sep 22, 2011 4:19 AM in response to SimonTemplar

I have the same problem. Definitely a bug. Happened well before I installed Launchpad Control (freeware) and still occurs. I have just given up now. This was one of the features showcased in the keynote for OS X Lion, just cannot understand how something as obvious as this has gone through to release AND not one single Apple person will come into these forums and confirm it. Why? This is very unlike Apple. Something's not right here.

Oct 10, 2011 1:19 PM in response to SimonTemplar

Back when I used the Dev preview of Lion, this happened all the time. Once Lion came out for real, I upgraded to it over top of my Dev version, and the problem continued. Last month I reformatted and installed from scratch, and everything was good for maybe 3 weeks. Now it's happening again.

Drives me nucking futs. I haven't the slightest idea what made it start misbehaving after 3 magic weeks of happiness. I'm just holding out for the 10.7.2 update that's coming relatively soon. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to quit using the **** feature entirely. Makes me absolutely crazy.

Mar 1, 2012 8:43 AM in response to SimonTemplar

I have a few data points to add. I went ahead and deleted the Launchpad database found in

~/Library/Application Support/Dock

1 - Lion rebuilt the database as I've read would happen. So I assumed I was in a pristine state. I then spent quite a bit of time reorganizing the icons. After this I still experience continued reordering in Launchpad.

2 - The reordering doesn't occur across pages. Also each time I notice the reordering it seems to be just a handful of icons moving.

3 - I'm an infrequent user. I tend to use LaunchBar rather than Launchpad to launch apps so I'm not paying that much attention. I probably go into Launchpad about 3 times day just for the eye candy. Perhaps launching apps independent of Launchpad somehow fires an event which Launchpad notices and causes the rearrangement. Using an app alters the date "Last Opened" on the file bundle. Perhaps that has an effect.

4 - I frequently upgrade applications (without the AppStore). Essentially I delete old apps and replace them with new version just by dragging into the Applications folder. Launchpad seems to update itself to follow the changes. I observe reording even when I don't do this. So I'm pretty sure this is not the cause of the reordering.

5 - I have seen groups reorganize. I keep all my groups together so this is easy to observe. Their contents do not change though.

6 - I've not seen unused apps move. I'll report back if I see this.

OS X 10.7.3

Why does Lion keep re-ordering my Launchpad????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.