Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mds running wild two weeks after install!

Why in the world would mds be taking up 60-80% of my cpu and over 300MB of real memory a full two weeks after install?

MDS continues to be one of the biggest hogs of resource since I've owned this iMac. I've actually gone into the hosts file and set it to NO then did the mdutils to disable, yet. THERE IT IS!

I really, honestly, truly HATE MDS. Is there anyway to stop it, or must I endure an iMac that runs like a Windows 286 computer!

Help!

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 4:18 PM

3 replies

Aug 9, 2011 4:24 PM in response to kkathman

Have you tried killing the process in Activity Monitor? Do you use Time Machine for backups? If so, what happens if you turn off TM? Is Spotlight indexing and if so what is it indexing?

What do you find in your console log relating to MDS? Have you tried reinstalling Lion? If you do reinstall Lion consider doing a clean install (erase the target drive prior to installing.)

mds running wild two weeks after install!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.