Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 Turning off Filevault

Hey all,

So hopefully everyone here knows the low-down on Filevault

As mentioned in the description, I want to turn it off.

I understand that to turn it off, a copy of my encrypted folder needs to be made needs to be decrypted, resulting in me having to free up enough space for that to happen.

I've managed to cut myself down from ~190GB to a mere 39.7GB. My .sparsebundle homefolder is still at 191GB however. I've already tried rebooting.

With that, I'd like to ask if there's a way for this .sparsebundle to be shrinked to allow space to unencrypt filevault, as from shown from the pictures, I obviously don't use the extra >100GB space claimed in the .sparsebundle. ("Multiple Item Info" is everything including hidden files in my encypted homefolder: Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc. and totals only 39.7GB, nowhere near 191GB)

All help is appreciated! If any info is missing feel free to ask! Thank you for your time !

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 4:36 PM

Turns out I needed the ac power cord to be in the laptop before I could unencrypt anything. Some "safety" feature I guess. Issue solved.

1 reply

10.6.8 Turning off Filevault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.