Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight search on Mac OS X 10.6 server shares

Hi,

I have just set up a Snow Leopard server with 2 x eSata disk systems (Lacie 4BIG).

Currently noone can use spotlight to search the shares when connected to the server.

Spotlight indexing is enabled in Server Admin, and the spotlight user appears in the ACL.

After alot of searching, I found that running this command on the client computer: mdimport /volumes/creative

will allow the client to use spotlight for the given share.

But can it really be true, that I have to do this for all clients?

And will I have to run the command on the clients on a regular basis to have the index updated?

Server is Mac and so are all clients.. I would have thought that this would just work "out of the box".

If anyone have got any experience with this, an input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Villadsen

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 12:46 AM

There are no replies.

Spotlight search on Mac OS X 10.6 server shares

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.