Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't FCP support h.264 editing?

I understand that FCP doesn't support h.264 editing. Does anyone else find that ironic? It's the preffered codec for web upload, it has relativly small file sizes, and is the default setting for the Quicktime conversion export. Plus in this HDSLR age, everyone now has h.264 files right from their cameras, and is exporting to h.264 for web upload, BUT we have to convert everything to massive proress files to edit, just to convert BACK to h.264 during upload. Does anyone know if there is a technological reason behind the fact FCP doesn't support native h.264 editing?

This post was more or less to see if people agree with me in my thinking that this is crazy. But if someone has a tech reason why I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 2:59 AM

4 replies

Aug 10, 2011 5:11 AM in response to DePasquale

H.264 has a non editable Long GOP Structure - only every 15th (12th in 25fps systems) is a full, stand-alone I frame, the ones in between are based on and cannot exist without that I frame. Cutting anywhere in the middle requires the Long GOP structure to be recalculated.

"Native" editors decode in the background to an I frame format. Just because you don't see it happen, doesn't mean it isn't. In FCP 7, you choose how you want to convert it (a good thing).

The underlying architecture of FCP7 and earlier were written a long time before DSLR existed and before the web was a viable distribution method. True, re-encoding has been tacked on since those times but that's better than nothing, right?

Not everyone shoots on DSLR, in fact some of us just plain dislike it and prefer full I frame formats that are instantly editable.

Remember, Final Cut Pro was designed to fit in with industry standard formats and workflows. H.264 is not one of them. It might become one due to the expectations of the YouTubers, but that's not neccessarily a step in the right direction.

Aug 10, 2011 5:29 AM in response to DePasquale

>This post was more or less to see if people agree with me in my thinking that this is crazy.

I totally disagree with you. What I find crazy is that camera manufacturers have been using codecs for acquisition that were originally designed for final delivery. I understand why they've done it (to get more recording time on miniscule memory cards) but I don't agree with the practice.

H.264 is just today's popular codec; tomorrow it will be something else. Something newer and even more compressed and then people will be complaining that FCP-X doesn't work with that codec natively. It goes on and on ... don't think for a minute that H.264 is the end all, be all format.

-DH

Aug 10, 2011 9:27 AM in response to DePasquale

I don't agree with you. This isn't crazy. STILL CAMERA manufacturers made their cameras able to shoot video, not for VIDEO professionals in mind, but for photojournalists to be able to shoot quick video, in a small size, to upload to their news station or network. The networks, all running Avid or FCP or Edius, would then convert the video to an editable format.

But then the independent filmmakers latched onto the camera due to the depth of field and low light capabilities. But that didn't change the fact that it shot a compressed, non-editing format.

Now some other NLEs will work with it natively, but only because they have serious help from RAM, very specific and powerful graphic cards, and fast processors. But it wasn't designed to be edited natively...the format really doesn't like it.

Don't blame the NLE makers, blame the camera manufacturer. BUT, if you want to edit it natively, there is FCP X, and Premiere Pro (that one requires the specific graphics card).

Why doesn't FCP support h.264 editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.