Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem running Parallel Desktop after OS Lion upgrade

I try to run Windows 7 from the parallel desktop application, I get the message:

"The virtual machine performance may be degraded because the hardware virtualization support is disabled on the host computer.

It is recommended to enable the hardware virtualization support in BIOS settings."

and then the message:

Your virtual machine will use only 1 CPU when running.

This virtual machine cannot run with 2 or more CPUs, because hardware virtualization is not supported on the host computer.

But the windows 7 will not run.

it never happened before OS Lion upgrade.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 6:17 AM

5 replies

Jan 13, 2012 7:16 PM in response to yonifromhodia

I, too am having this issue now. I just upgraded from a MBP 15" 2008 to an MBP 15" late 2011. Initiated the Lion installed on the new machine (brand new) updated lion, updated EFI & SMC (verified correct update levels in bios), added 16G RAM, 120G SSD, 1T harddrive (optical bay replacement).

Then I used the migration assistant to move all my data from the old MBP to the new one. (second drive).

Used SuperDuper! to create a sandbox for the SSD.

Booted both from the SSD and the 1T drive.

Both boot fine (SSD is way fast...)

Ran Parallels in both environments and get the same error, essentially, "you can't run a virtual machine here until you turn on virtualization on this computer". The support desks both say install the EFI and update parallels. I did. It doesn't work.

Parallels worked fine on the old machine.

Running Parallels V7 with latest updates.

Any thoughts?

Jan 15, 2012 7:23 AM in response to darwinp5101

So, seems to be a combination of pilot ignorance and Migration Assistant issues.

I cleared everything, wiped the disks, and reinstalled OSX (10.7.2), applied all the upgrades, and turned on migration assistant.

One of the parallels VMs ran just fine (BTW, 8G is the limit for parallels VMs). The other didn't.

The system didn't give me any issues with the VM this time.

I copied the bad one back from a disk image backup and it popped up perfectly (had to reinstall parallels tools).

So, I'm guessing that something in Migration Assistant just doesn't do a complete migration for some of the 3rd party software.

I did notice a similar thing with Office Mac 2011. I lost all the templates. Still looking for those...

Anyway, Thanks for being willing to help.

Problem running Parallel Desktop after OS Lion upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.