Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video playback not working on iPad 1

Last night, while trying to play a movie on my iPad to keep my two-year-old twins distracted during dinner at a restaurant (which works beautifully, I might add), I turned on my iPad and hit the VIDEOS icon. I've noticed that lately it takes several seconds for the menu of videos (or last-played video, depending on how I last exited the player) to come up, but last night niether one ever did come up.

I just got a black screen, with the normal top row of status indicators (WiFi status, time, etc.) but no icons for my videos and no in-progress video. I tried this several times (clicked the Home button and re-launched VIDEOS), powered down and restarted the iPad, and always got similar results. The only variation may be that sometimes I get the status bar items, sometimes not. But always over a solid black screen.

I do get the spinning "wait" wheel animation for about half a second shortly after calling up VIDEOS, but it doesn't continue and even if I let the iPad sit for several minutes, I get nothing.

I did recall seeing a one-time message the other day on the iPad saying that disk space is getting very low and I should delete a few things. I only ever saw that message once. So I ran a little utility I have on the iPad which shows current memory and battery state, and it did show that I had only about 15 MB free. This was odd because I knew the last time I chedked it in iTunes, I had 1.5 GB free. So I deleted one or two apps directly from the iPad and tried VIDEOS again - still nothing.

When we got home, I synced to iTunes, which did report 1.5 GB free. I removed a couple videos and some more apps using iTunes, and synced a couple times just to be sure. Today, still, no video playback. No list of videos (although iTunes confirms that I still have several on there). It's really weird.

I hate to jump right in and do the iTunes restore method - I can't even think about how long that will take - so I figured I'd check here first to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

This is a first-generation iPad (arrived on the day they were released) and all its software is up-to-date.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

- Mike

iPad, iOS 4.3.3, 32GB

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 8:25 AM

Try searching for the name of one of your videos on the iPad's spotlight search screen - swipe your first homescreen to the right, type in it's name, and if it finds it tap on it to see if it plays.

If that doesn't work then try closing the Videos app completely : from the home screen (i.e.not with the Videos app 'open' on-screen) double-click the home button to bring up the taskbar, then press and hold any of the apps on the taskbar for a couple of seconds or so until they start shaking, then press the '-' in the top left of the Videos app to close it, and touch any part of the screen above the taskbar so as to stop the shaking and close the taskbar.

A third option if the two above don't work is a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2011 8:25 AM in response to Mike Hoffman

Try searching for the name of one of your videos on the iPad's spotlight search screen - swipe your first homescreen to the right, type in it's name, and if it finds it tap on it to see if it plays.

If that doesn't work then try closing the Videos app completely : from the home screen (i.e.not with the Videos app 'open' on-screen) double-click the home button to bring up the taskbar, then press and hold any of the apps on the taskbar for a couple of seconds or so until they start shaking, then press the '-' in the top left of the Videos app to close it, and touch any part of the screen above the taskbar so as to stop the shaking and close the taskbar.

A third option if the two above don't work is a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

Video playback not working on iPad 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.