Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Power Mac G5 and brand new Airport Extreme Base Station...help please

HI all, as they say on the radio-"first time caller, long time listener"...

Just purchased (a week ago) a new AEBS (the big square one). Currently in our house we have 2 apple tvs (newer versions), 3 mac books, a PS3, and an Xbox, and HP Printer all running off it. Working like a dream. However, our Power Mac G5, which is our 'main' computer (meaning we have videos, itunes music/movies, photos, etc housed on this) is having trouble picking up the new AEBS. Sometimes using Airport Utility it finds it, connects, then disconnects, but mainly it can't find it. The AEBS sits in another room, about 20 feet away from the G5 and (without doing some major reshuffling) connecting via eithernet wire to the router isn't possible. Sooo...my first thought is, do we need a new Airport extreme card for the G5??? Is there a setting in the G5 I'm missing??

Any info is helpful and very appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Here's the specs on our old G5 and the card installed in it (yes, we have the little "t" antennae):

Model Name: Power Mac G5

Model Identifier: PowerMac7,2

Processor Name: PowerPC 970 (2.2)

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 2

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.4f0

Serial Number (system): XB3****3NVB

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000A95BA482E

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)

Current Wireless Network: ballnchain

Wireless Channel: 6

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 10:44 AM

15 replies

Aug 10, 2011 10:59 AM in response to TT32872

Before you go to any major expense or effort, try a USB wireless adapter. They're very small and inexpensive, can be very effective, and if you buy locally you can always return it for a full refund if it doesn't do the trick.

I had the same problem with a Windoze box and solved it initially with a humongously long cable which my daughter's dog chewed through, then solved it permanently with such a USB network adapter without touching the internal card. Has been working like a charm. It was about $30, but there are cheaper ones now—as low as $18 or so at the local Fry's.

Aug 10, 2011 11:12 AM in response to TT32872

Yes, it works with b, g, or n network. I have an N-network through a "NETGEAR RangeMAXnext wireless-N Router". The USB adapters are pretty generic. The one that solved my problem happens to be a NETGEAR brand N150 Wireless USB Adapter . It even picks up an Airport wireless secured network from a neighbor about 200'-300' across the street, and I tested it also on my MDD G4, as well as on my wife's MacBook and her Mac Mini. Works on all of them, but is only needed on the Windoze Toshiba laptop that has a wonky internal one.

Feb 29, 2012 11:36 AM in response to TT32872

that was a great suggestion you gave him, but as i read, i am not sure if you answered his question?? and the reason i point it out, is it is now my question lol, is it possible to upgrade the current AirPort extreme wireless card that is inside my PowerMac G5 and my specs are almost identical to the original post...(btw? how you get 6GB of ram? they told me only 4GB) ...could i go to apple and say Hey give me a AirPort extreme wireless card and pop in the brand new one.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Power Mac G5

Machine Model: PowerMac7,3

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 2 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1

Serial Number: YM5****DPRU2

i am STILL using 10.4.11 but do have a disc to upgrade to 10.5 if need to.

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme

Wireless Card Locale: USA

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 405.1 (3.90.34.0.p18)

Current Wireless Network: The Daily Gothic

Wireless Channel: 1

Feb 29, 2012 2:26 PM in response to BDAqua

wow, thank you so much for the quick repsonse, based on what you said, i grabbed the one with 4 slots, lol... side question, i was only looking to upgrade the card because of slow download speeds on my home network, i have an AirPort express, that is N rated, you think i wil get better speeds by running an ethernet cable to this as oppsosed to being on WiFi net work? and thank you for the links.

Feb 29, 2012 3:58 PM in response to BDAqua

the speeds i get now are from a different site, over my wifi network to my MacBook Pro, i wil get as high as 30Mpbs to low end 16Mbps down, and consistantly 3Mbps up, but over my wifi network on the PowerMac i wil barely get 3Mbps down

i wil run the test now from the sites you suggested, and post the speeds, but what i was asking before, is i have a N rated AirPort express right by my G5, i use it to extend my network, and i have my printer hooked up to it, if i run an ethernet cable from my G5 to the N rated AirPort express, as opposed to using the wifi, would i get better speeds? also the routher i use is a 2nd gen Apple TimeCapsule 1TB

The G5 is 3 feet from the AirPort express that is why i was curious about just running a cable from the computer to the express.

Feb 29, 2012 5:03 PM in response to TheDailyGothic

I don't know what speed Ethernet Port is in the Router, but even 100 Base can do 100 Mbps Full Dublex, 802.11g can do up to 54 Mbps half duplex, which means a max of about half that, no idea why yours is so slow.

Might trty enlarging the buffers in Terminal...

The default send and receive buffer sizes can be set using the following sysctl variables, in Terminal:

sudo sysctl -w kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=262140

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=131070

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=131070

It will revert to defaults on reboot, so no worry, might be a good test though.

Also, open Network Utility>Info tab, select Airport & see what the Link speed is & if there are any errors on the right.

Old Power Mac G5 and brand new Airport Extreme Base Station...help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.