Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DSL Internet Speed

iMac G4, OS 10.4.11, Qwest DSL modem PK5000Z

Qwest tells me I have the fastest DSL hookup available, but my internet is slow most of the time. Some time pages load fast, but mostly not. Any suggestions on how I can boost my internet speed or is it due to my computer being 6 years old?

Thanks

imac g4, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 11:14 AM

9 replies

Aug 10, 2011 2:48 PM in response to bad dad

(Presumably you regularly empty your Safari cache by deleting the following file:

Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/cache.db

and clear your History)

Adding Open DNS codes to your Network Preferences, should give good results in terms of speed-up as well as added security:

If you are using a single computer: Open System Preferences/Network. Double click on your connection type, or select it in the drop-down menu, and in the box marked 'DNS Servers' add the following two numbers:

(You can also enter them if you click on Advanced and then DNS)

Dec 20, 2011 8:58 AM in response to bad dad

It could be the Ethernet port specs. According to the Mactracker database, all iMac G4s have 10/100 ports, typical of Apple "home" computers of the time. Their "pro" models had the much faster 10/100/1000 port, sometimes called "gigabit ethernet" or "gigE."

My late-model G4 tower has the 10/100/1000 port and my wife's eMac, like G4 iMacs, has only 10/100 ports. Both computers are sharing our 50mbps cable internet service. The G4, as well as a PowerBook G4 and a MacBook Pro that also have the gigE port, can find servers that deliver full 50mbps speeds. The eMac can do no better than about 5mbps, commensurate with it port's max capacity being 1/10th that of the gigE ports on the "pro" models.

Ports cannot be upgraded as they are built into the logic board.

Oct 26, 2013 4:56 PM in response to bad dad

Some page load fast and some no , that's enough to tell you that this is not a problem about your internet connection ( you may check it using Testinternetspeed.info to be sure ) becuase you can't say that you have connection problems because that some page are load slowly it can be an internal website problem or the reponse time of the server take some times more than other website

Midouloumi

DSL Internet Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.