Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent automatic downloading of .pdf files?

Hi:

I've noticed previous queries (from 2008 and 2009) asking how to prevent Safari or perhaps Adobe Reader from automatically downloading .pdf files when they open them.

I haven't had this problem recently until today. Previously, I would click a link and the .pdf file would open in a separate window. If I wanted to download the file I would have to select the download icon from the pop-up icons at the bottom of the page.

Today when I click a link to a .pdf file, the file automatically downloads to my Download folder. Adobe Reader is opening the file. In its Internet Preferences, I deselected "Display PDF in browser using. . ." and "Allow speculative downloading. . ." to no effect.

How can I get automatic downloading to stop?

I also selected a .pdf file, pressed Command-I, and in the Open With section of the pane, tried changing from Adobe Reader to Preview and then Safari to get the automatic downloading to stop, but neither choice produced the desired effect.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 11:48 AM

18 replies

Aug 27, 2011 5:33 PM in response to pjmetz

I am also having the same problem Paula. When I visit a website for taking school tests online the test is in PDF format and the answer form is built into the web page. Last semester Safari correctly displayed the PDF in the middle of the screen and allowed me to navigate the test while inputting answers. Suddenly it wants to download the test (without asking me) and then not display it near the answer submission form. VERY frustrating! I feel your pain!!!

Aug 28, 2011 4:00 AM in response to pjmetz

pjmetz: You say "tried changing from Adobe Reader to Preview and then Safari to get the automatic downloading to stop, but neither choice produced the desired effect." What effect did these changes produce? I am sure they didn't leave things as they were, did they? If they did, and Adobe Reader is strong-arming its way to causing all PDF files to download, try removing Reader and give it a test with no Reader-assist. Oh, I'm not trying to get you to give up on Reader. You can copy Reader to an ext. HDD for safe-keeping, and then trash it from the internal HDD, and empty the trash. Then test Safari. If Safari works correctly without Reader, get your answer from Adobe.com

maxintaft: PDF files cannot be editied easily even on your HDD, mush less in a browser window. Whatever it is you are typing in (or have been typing in previously), it is not a PDF file, so your issue needs a new question, or contact the school site webmaster for help.

Aug 28, 2011 4:16 AM in response to pjmetz

The problem is that the pdf is downloaded to read. Safari should, according to your wish, only show it before it is downloaded, so that you can decide whether to download it when you read it. Uncheck the "Open safe files after downloading" (like nwcs said) because this forces the download for the "safe" files.

Go to folder /Library/Internet Plugins/ ,

make a subfolder "disabled" ,

move the AdobePDFViewer to this new folder ,

Quit and restart Safari.

(The in Safari built-in viewer is very good, you do not need the Adobe PDF Viewer).

Lex

Aug 28, 2011 10:24 AM in response to pjmetz

Paula,

I think I may have found our answer! If you are running Safari 5.1 the PDF is automatically downloaded because the Adobe plugin that allows PDFs to be displayed in Safari is not supported in this version!

I found this on another thread: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/908/cpsid_90885.html

I'm going to download another browser until this gets corrected.

Hope this helps,

Max

Oct 11, 2011 2:01 AM in response to Lexiepex

To LexSchellings: You say "Uncheck the 'Open safe files after downloading... because this forces the download for the "safe" files." Do you mean that the "Open" option causes a download for PDFs? I would have thought the check was to cause the opening ONLY after you CHOOSE to download. From what you say, this check causes not just an opening of items downloaded, but for a PDF, it also causes the downloading to happen even if you didn't choose to download. If that is true (please confirm), it is a numbskull idea. Apple needs to separate these two ideas: no automatic download, only automatic open AFTER download (if checked).

I'm no malware programmer, but I can imagine that one could design an app to present a profile like a PDF to Safari, and thus cause Safari to both automatically download and then automatically open the app -- a nasty combination.

How do I prevent automatic downloading of .pdf files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.