Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pdfs open as blank pages in Safari, Preview, and Evernote

Hi everybody!

I am experiencing problems with viewing pdfs in Safari and Preview, as well as third party apps such as Evernote. Some pdfs open fine and as always, others will just open as an assortment of blank pages.

Interestingly enough, I have had some of these pdf files before I migrated from a Snow Leopard MacBook to a Lion MacBook Pro.

Anybody?

I much appreciate your help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 3:29 PM

Copy one of the problem PDF's to your Public folder. Select the copy in the Finder and open the Info window. In the Sharing & Permissions section of the window, make sure "Everyone" has read access. If not, make it so.

Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. Open the file you copied. Same problem?

If so, boot in safe mode and log into your account. Same problem now?

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Creating a guest user account

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2011 3:29 PM in response to englstudent

Copy one of the problem PDF's to your Public folder. Select the copy in the Finder and open the Info window. In the Sharing & Permissions section of the window, make sure "Everyone" has read access. If not, make it so.

Enable guest logins and log in as Guest. Open the file you copied. Same problem?

If so, boot in safe mode and log into your account. Same problem now?

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Creating a guest user account

Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Aug 10, 2011 4:30 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

yes, I was able to view the file just fine before the migration to Lion and the MacBook Pro. And I have not had problems with most of the pdfs I have downloaded / opened in Safari / Preview / Evernote.

However, I cannot view a single pdf from this site, for example: http://www.swp-berlin.org/en/start-en.html. Pick any of their pdfs. Or, randomly, the newest one: http://www.swp-berlin.org/fileadmin/contents/products/comments/2011C17_bsh_janet schek_srj_ks.pdf.

Do you also have problems viewing them? (Again, I never had issues viewing their pdfs so I am reluctant to just blame it on them.)

I hope you can help.

Thank you very much already!

Aug 10, 2011 4:41 PM in response to englstudent

I can view those files, but I'm not running Lion. The files are not corrupt. That leaves two possibilities: a bug, or a damaged installation. To rule out the latter, you'd have to reinstall Lion by booting from your recovery HD. Alternatively, you could post in the Lion area and get another Lion user to test the files.

If another Lion user gets the same results as you, or if you get the same results after reinstalling, then I suggest you load one of those files in Safari and select Safari > "Report Bugs to Apple..." from the menu bar.

pdfs open as blank pages in Safari, Preview, and Evernote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.