Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What exactly does my X1600 accelerate?

Hello:

I have an old MacBook Pro 2,2 (late 2006 with 2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo) with an ATI X1600 graphics processor. Using iStat Menus, I have noticed my X1600's memory use doesn't seem to budge no matter what application I use. Whether rotating complex 3D graphs in Grapher or Matlab, viewing iMovie projects, viewing FLV or H.264 Flash video, or running ProEngineer in Windows on Fusion, my computer's GPU seems to just sit there like some unemployed whale.

I'm looking at replacing my MBP with a new one soon. I don't do any serious photo editing, audio encoding, or video editing and am starting to wonder whether the 13" MBP might be sufficient. My needs for video include just Netflix and YouTube playback and light iMovie editing. Am I misinterpreting the function of my old X1600 GPU or is it simply the case that my use doesn't warrant a discrete GPU?

Thanks,

Bryan

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:25 PM

There are no replies.

What exactly does my X1600 accelerate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.