Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes not change metadata (outside) of iTunes?

I use iTunes pretty exclusively for managing my music however I notice that if I change something (ID tags-wise) within iTunes, it doesn't change the actual files metadata?

Hope this makes sense but I do use my music collection on a non-Apple product in my car. I actually have a 250gb hard drive that I use in my car and try to keep my MBP and my external hard drive in sync. It's aggravating that if I change something within iTunes it won't carry over the change to my hard drive.

Ideas?

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:47 PM

7 replies

Aug 10, 2011 9:08 PM in response to Ibis Ghost

Ibis Ghost wrote:

It changes the metadata as long as your using iTunes but it won't change it if you use an external hard drive like I am in my car.

It changes the ID3 tags in the files that are in iTunes.

iTunes does work fine with external drives but you are not using the external drive with iTunes. And it will work fine with a Mac and FAT32 drive.

So you remove the HD from your car and use ChronoSync to sync your files from the MacBook to the HD for your car?

Sounds like ChronoSync is not copying the updated files across.

Check the file modification date after you use Chronosync to update the external. Make sure it matches the date on the internal.

Aug 10, 2011 10:26 PM in response to Chris CA

Thanks for your help. I've just started using ChronoSync for my last sync because it was recommended by someone on MacRumors.

I only mention this issue because I've noticed it before. Before ChronoSync I used to just copy and paste my entire music collection to get the two in sync. I would notice that some of the metadata I have changed in iTunes didn't transfer over to the external hard drive.

Aug 11, 2011 3:59 PM in response to Ibis Ghost

Ibis Ghost, It is true that if you edit the tags in iTunes, they will get written to the file (with a few exceptions, such as WAV files, or files whose permissions are Read-Only).

However, some files have two sets of tags, one in ID3v1 format and another in ID3v2 format, in which case iTunes only writes the v2 tags, and leaves the v1 tags alone. If you then look at it with anything that only sees v1 tags, it sure does look like iTunes didn't change anything. There is a more information here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3222771?answerId=15788415022#15788415022

Why does iTunes not change metadata (outside) of iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.