Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you record a V/O in FCP X?

Currently FCP X insists on attaching each V/O clip to an empty box on the timeline. Then later if I attempt to replace that box with a video clip it also deletes the attached v/o clip! How do I lay in a V/O track and then later add the video clips? Man this is a pain!!!

MacPro (Tower), Mac OS X (10.6.5), Final Cut Studio

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 6:19 PM

5 replies

Aug 11, 2011 7:51 AM in response to OneFisheye

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but your workflow does not solve the problem. By the time I finish recording a v/o I may 15 or 20 audio clips in a row, each with a (useless) corresponding box above it. Prior to FCPX I could then cut my video to match precisely with the v/o clips and then drag them to the corresponding space. What you're suggesting creates numerous unnecessary steps by having to move each v/o clip to a video clip somewhere farther down the timeline at the end of all the previously recorded v/o clips with their silly little boxes. That just is not how I'd like to work and I am baffled by this new design as it has made the timeline far more difficult to work with, in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2011 9:17 AM in response to Andy Drefs

I had the same problem, until I realized that FCP was attaching my VO to the primary storyline. What you want to do is have your VO be the primary storyline.

Highlight all your VO clips and drag them into the Storyline in the timeline. You'll need to delete those weird little empty placeholders once the VO is in the storyline.

Now you can time your video over the top of your audio without having it disappear every time you make an edit in the video.

How do you record a V/O in FCP X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.