Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi connection droppings, non- and working configurations

Hi,

There are a number of wifi dropping discussions within MBP area, but I also noticed people having the same issues with MBA. Other wifi devices (like Iphone, ipad, other laptop/desktops) do not seem to have any issues what so ever. What's the deal? Some people (like myself) had/have problems with wifi connections dropping. Sometimes you have a connection and suddenly you don't, or a very, very slow connection. The Apple support desk gives a number of resolutions, like deleting wifi config files, creating a new connection/location, hard reset, turning off IPv6 and so on. For me an some others this is not a fix. Once again, other wifi devices (Apple and non Apple) connected to the same router do not have this problem.

The issue seems to be a conflict between the MBP/MBA with the router used. Whether this is a MBP/MBA software (OS) and or hardware issue is still debatable, since no actual root cause has been found so far.

It seems that some routers have this problems, while others are working fine. So, I copy/paste the known problem and working configurations from this discussion into this one, hoping some Apple official does something useful with it, like finding the root cause and coming up with a permanent fix.

Please feel free to only add your found problem and working configurations. If you want to discuss your issues, put it in the other discussion topic. If you mention your router, please add the type and link it to a product information sheet found on the web. I sincerely hopes this help finding out any consistency why MBP/MBA have conflicts some routers.

Example, the MBP 2011 - 13inch is mine and I had this problem straight away, out of the box. Changing it for another did not help.

Configuration with WIFI connection drops (so problem configurations):

Apple product: MBP 2011 - 13inch - default configuration (shop)

OS version tested: Snow Leopard 10.6.7 and Lion

Router: Sweex LW-055

Apple product: MBP 2010 - 15inch - default configuration (shop)

OS version tested: Snow Leopard 10.6.X

Router: DIR-655 (include link to product information if you can find it)

Succesful configuration:

Apple product: MBP 2011 - 13inch - default configuration (shop)

OS version tested: Lion

Router: Airport Express 2008

OS version tested: Snow Leopard 10.6.X (Since I can get a stable connection for a couple of days-weeks before it drops off again) (Not important here, but WiFi works with iPhone iOS 4.X, Windows Vista and XP, Sony XMB (PS3), Ubuntu, Android and so forth.)

Router: DIR-655

Apple product: MBP 2009 - 15inch - default configuration (shop)

OS version tested: Leopard 10.5.X and Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Router: DIR-655

Router: WGT624

Router: WNR3500L

Router: DIR-301

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7), WIFI connection droppings

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 12:50 AM

10 replies

Sep 23, 2011 12:37 PM in response to Geoff@Amsterdam

hi guys

Same problems:

MBP 2010 running 10.6.8, AirProt Utility 5.5.3 (553.20)

The problem began with

09/21/2011 the internet speed declined or very often disappeared at all. the restart of DIR-655 helped.

09/22/2011 after 5 minutes work with my DIR-655 the connection is lost. And then I can not see DIR-655 before I restart MBP.

After I have restarted MBP the problem repeats again and again. Who has dealed with such problem?

Oct 25, 2011 2:39 AM in response to Geoff@Amsterdam

MBA, same problems, luckily always and only with one of the routers I'm usually connecting with. Nothing fixed it yet.

Just a very strange behaviour, tested several times (I could hardly believe it!!): in order to get my connection back I just move my MBA (few centimeters are enough, lifting or rotating it on the desk) while it's searching for network....

Dec 12, 2011 5:12 PM in response to Geoff@Amsterdam

My connect wi-fi problems started about 2 weeks ago. Mac Book Pro, 10.7.2. processor 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Mine times out most of the time. I also use airport extreme 4th version. Never had a problem, but just this last week. When I plug it in to the ethernet port, no problems. When I take it from the back room to the living room problems begin as well as sometimes in the room that I keep my airport extreme in. I use the airport ulitity and go thru that and sometimes it works for a bit. I even wiped my airport extreme and set it up again and still problems, also zaped the PRAM. Same time out problems. I use a actiontec simple modem hooked up to my airport extreme base station for my wi-fi and ethernet. I replaced my battery also. The problem has to be in the airport extreme. My ISP is Century Link (the old qwest) tomorrow they are upgrading my speed on my service and will bring in their own modem with a router in it. This should verify if the problem is with the airport extreme base station or not. One more thing. During all of this my Iphones and ipod both worked fine with no wi-fi problems. Yes, I did turn them off when I had problems with my Mac Pro and it helped a bit, but problems are still here and it times out.

Dec 23, 2011 1:59 AM in response to Geoff@Amsterdam

Very unhappy to say the least. Have a first gen white macbook(10.6.8),using BT homehub(uk). Had no problems with wifi for 3 years at all until last couple of weeks,same symptoms as most people in various theads on here. All other devices connecting fine still. Wifi only works when sitting right next to the hub,move next door(5meters) and after a few minutes lose connection and then connect/connection time out etc.Ethernet is the only fix/or sitting next to the hub. Tried most suggestions to fix problem,nothing has worked.

At a loss at what to do next/think it must be a software problem?- this seems to be a widespread problem with many people on various apple platforms.

Does apple care at all???HELP

Dec 23, 2011 10:50 AM in response to andymcpool

Got my stuff working again. This is a reply from a previous post on December 12, 2011. After going through **** with the dropping of connections and trying just about everything to fix it, this was how I got things to work again. I changed my speed with my ISP and bumped it up a bit faster, so they had to put in a different modem that was also a router (ISP is Century Link, the old Qwest) I also had them hook their modem up to my apple extreme router and picked up a new battery from Newer Tech.

Now I have 2 networks to use with two different routers. What's really cool is that the Apple Extreme Router is much faster than the Century link router. It my be because its on an N channel and the Century Link uses B or G channel that no one uses in my area, as I had Century Link check it out. I have appartments behind me and a guy next to my house that is an ebay seller. I wanted to make sure the channels I use were not used much as this may have caused problems. The speed I went to was from 7mbps to 20mbps. I actually get about 16mbps from the apple router in my living room on wifi. The router is in the back room of my home.

So in summary the old Qwest (CenturyLink) Modem may have been going bad or the battery? Now I think it was just the modem as it was still dropping the signal when pluged it in my living room. It was not the Airport Extreme which is only about a year old and when purchased was the newest one out, replacing an older Airport Extreme that I got about 3 years of use from. I hope this helps anyone who is still having problems and tried many fixes posted here. Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Message was edited by: bruce85716

Jan 27, 2012 12:34 PM in response to bruce85716

Okay here's my fix -- I'd done all the earlier fixes for my Macbook Pro and I've had no improvement in Wi-Fi connection; my Wi-Fi is (was) intermittent and when connected, very slow -- losing packets like crazy. Here is my solution for you all to try to turn your slow machines into fast internet rippers! To start, I am not a computer expert. I just finally luckily found the answer after a hundred of wasted hours of research and tech support from Charter cable and Apple. My solution is the wireless router itself. I had done all the prior mentioned adjustments and found no relief. What did it for me is going into my Charter Netgear router and unactivating the IP FLOOD DETECTION. To quote someone much more knowledgable then me, "IP Flood Detection is a type of Denial of Service attack whereby the victim or system is flooded with information, using up all available bandwith thereby preventing legitimate users from access." I had to log onto my WI-Fi router and then use navigate to a special page to find this feature.

http://community.charter.com/t5/Speed-and-Connectivity/Intermittent-internet-pro blem-for-4-months/td-p/4372

If this does fix your problem, feel free to send me a new iPad as a token of your thankfulness.

Apr 29, 2013 7:59 AM in response to Geoff@Amsterdam

Hi everyone, what eventually helped me was changing the wifi router settings – I stopped using channel 12 and above or the Auto option and forced to use channel 11 or lower. Since then no issue (home wifi network not in the menu, disconnecting, asking for password) whatsoever.

It wasn't QoS, security options, signal/antenna, router firmware, too many computers on the network, mac settings, b/g/n.

And this applies to Pro, Air and iPad as far as I know/have tried.

Wifi connection droppings, non- and working configurations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.