6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2011 7:02 PM by rick722
rick722 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Hi,

I finally purchased a new Airport Express to go with my 4th gen Airport Extreme as an extender.  So I think I got things right...I have my Airport Extreme set to create a network and allow it to be extended and my new Airport Express set to extend a network.  I also have my channels and mode on automatic so it all appears as one network.  So I am getting much better range but it seems when I'm in an area where I'm connected to my new Express I have connection but there are some pauses when accessing webpages.  It's not horrible but not quite as fast as before when I'm direct to my Extreme.  Is that to be expected when extending?  Also now in my Extreme the new Express shows as a client with these numbers:

signal -51 noise -82 rate -86 802.11 b/g/n

And in my Express now my Extreme shows as a client:

signal -41 noise -84 rate -144 Wireless

They are not so far apart but there is a wall in between.  Anyways, just wanted to get some confirmation that I got things set up the best I can thanks!

rc

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (87,615 points)

Based on the info in your post, it looks like you have the correct settings for your network.

You can confirm in another way as follows:

Open AirPort Utility and click on the AirPort Extreme on the left. Look for the AirPort ID of this device on the right and jot that info down. Do the same for the AirPort Express.

Then, move your laptop very close to the AirPort Express, hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the fan shaped AirPort icon at the top of the screen, and note the BSSID. That number should match the AirPort Express, indicating that your Mac is connecting to the Express and it is extending properly.

If you see the BSSID of the AirPort Extreme, that would indicate that the Mac is connecting back to the "main" router and the Express is not extending the wireless signal.

• gtmow00 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was wandering the same thing, and I like your solution, but how could one verify that they are connected to express, not the extreme, if they are using a PC? Also, Is there a way of changing the airport settings through the iPad? I tried finding an Airport Utility App., but no luck.

• rick722 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Great Bob I confirmed it that way too so it seems all is well.  Thanks! :-)

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (87,615 points)
    but how could one verify that they are connected to express, not the extreme, if they are using a PC?

I donl't have a PC here to check, but maybe a Windows guy will see this and tell us.

Also, Is there a way of changing the airport settings through the iPad?

AirPort Utility will run only on a Mac or PC

• gtmow00 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I tried (ipconfig/all) but couldn't see the difference between Base and extreme. Everything in my house is Apple, except for my laptop. I love my Extreme and got an Express to extrend it to the outside. Without getting off subject, I would love to verify that my express is extending my network. Like you said, I hope a Windows guy will see this and tell us. Thank you for your help and response.

• rick722 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Sorry I'm also a Mac guy but if you read through my first post it might help you to find this out via Airport Utility as it should work on windows too.  At first I made the mistake of Joining a network with my Express instead of Extending a network and the clients list will appear different then how I described it above.  Seems like the most important things are to make sure your Extreme is set to Create a network and you must check the box that says Allow this network to be extended.  In your Express select Extend a network and actually the router did the rest on my end...

Also, it might help if you try the equivalent of iStumber on Windows to see your networks.  Although I only have one network name in iStumber it shows me that I have 3 networks so 2 are from my Extreme and 1 from my Express.

And finally and this might do it, you can go back to the Client list in Airport Utility to see which station you are connected to.  That's what I was doing before Bob's easier solution which unfortunately doesn't seem to help you at the moment...

Hope this helps a bit as I just went though this.  I'm just entry-level here Bob is the true expert and is always helpful! :-)

rc