Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel now "read only"

I've been working on a large Excel file (Office 2008) on my MacBook (core 2 duo/Snow Leopard) and recently got an iMac with Lion. I transferred everything from the MacBook to the iMac via Time Machine. Now when I open the file on the iMac it comes up as "Read Only".

I've checked the permissions and it was still "read/write" for me; I tried giving "read/write" to everyone and it still opens as "Read Only".

Any thoughts?

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 8:35 AM

19 replies

Nov 12, 2011 1:33 PM in response to ArizonaLoco

I had the same problem.

To fix it go into the "General" system preferences pane and uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps".

Unfortunately I don't think this fixes files which have already been affected by the "Read only" problem - they contnue to open as read only - but any files you haven't opened recently and any newly saved files seem OK.

Nov 12, 2011 2:00 PM in response to ArizonaLoco

Sorry guys - posted the wrong solution.

The problem with files opening "Read Only" is caused by using a filename that would be invalid in Windows. My file had a "/" in the name and would only open read only. If I remove the "/" evereything is OK.

Unfortunately the test I did after trying the "restore windows ..." fix led me to the wrong conclusion - sorry for that.

Anyhow, remove those "Windows illegal" characters from your filename and I think all will be well.

Mar 3, 2012 7:46 AM in response to Dan VanDeRiet

Hi!

Thank you very much JH117 for the above solution to the problem as outlined on the original post. You have really got me out of a spot. Could somebody now please help with the following related issue?

When I save the document, however, the XLSX icon is in landscape orientation with the word NAME in bold red capitals at the centre whereas the original was in portrait with a green band along the top containing the Excel logo and at bottom left was a ptotruding cartouche containing XLSX in green capitals. Is this a cause for concern? I noticed that when I drag the 'new style' icon off the desktop to put it into a file, it reverts temporarily to the original style with a green plus sign, but when I unclick, it returns to landscape.

Regards,

DG.

Sep 27, 2012 4:55 PM in response to Dan VanDeRiet

While the above answer MIGHT be one problem - the solution is related to the computer name. In moving the data to my new machine, the OS created a new name for the new machine. The old computer had my last name "goeckner" ... and the new one was my last name with (2)... "goeckner (2)" As soon as I changed the computer name to match the old name, the files all openned as they should.

I THINK that MS office is looking at the computer name - and deciding that it should be read only because the file is not on the "correct" computer. This has advantages if one wants to share/jointly edit files. (Likely what MS wants you to able to do.) Here it does not work correctly.

=====

For the record the computer name is done so that the IT people know who is sitting on our network.... If it were left up to me, I might call it "flaming death star".

Mar 13, 2013 10:59 AM in response to Dan VanDeRiet

JH117, you should specify that users need to go to Apple>Preferences to make that change. I spent 30 minutes trying to find the setting in the Excel Preferences!

I am working on a Mac Pro using Lion OSX. I have an Excel file that I created and saved to my harddrive over a year ago. I add infor to this spreadsheed occasionally. Today I opened it, made changes, then tried to save it only to get a message telling me it was Read Only. Now, it has never been Read Only, and when I checked Get Info the file is categorized as Read and Write.

I finally saved the file by adding another charcter to the file name and deleting the original.

I still want to know WHY this has happened without any alteration on my part.

Mar 18, 2014 4:54 AM in response to Dan VanDeRiet

Hi,

I had the same issue today and a non-read-only file is copied and worked on. When I changed the name it then went to read-only.

The solution for me was to create the copy then rename it only a few charachters at a time i.e. first rename read "No.1" then the second was "No.1 WE 16" and so forth until I got the name I wanted and at each change I opened the file to check the status (that appears in excel at the top with the file name).

Not a good solution but it worked.

Good luck.

Excel now "read only"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.