Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen

hi guys

macbook pro 2.53 GHz intel core i5 8go 1067 MHzDDR3

While I aws surfing and itunes was open, suddenly a black screen !

All I can do is press the power button and restart

Any known reason ?

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply
21 replies

Aug 11, 2011 3:06 PM in response to savingrace087

Hi s,

savingrace087 wrote:

Can you tell me more about this update? I have a MBP, and last night I could not wake it up. Since I can't turn my laptop on, I'm not sure which version OS I have, and I don't remember off the top of my head...

Which MBP do you have? Do you know when you bought it, or its speed, or the screen size? Does it have dark colored keys or silver keys?

Aug 13, 2011 8:34 PM in response to lll

lll wrote:

tjk

2 days and no black screen after light usage and dropping the preference in my library. Your article was very usefull and I keep my fingers crossed !

Thanks a lot

That's excellent. You're welcome, and I hope it continues to work. Good luck. šŸ˜‰

Aug 16, 2011 1:52 AM in response to savingrace087

savingrace087 wrote:

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp500

Alright, I found it. I'm thinking my hard drive is shot or somehow got fried. When I go to turn it on, it starts spinning then stops with a quiet beep. What do you think?

Good find. šŸ˜‰

I think the HD is a valid place to start looking.

Boot from install disc (insert disc > restart > immediately hold down the c key and keep holding it until you see ā€œPreparing Installationā€) > at first screen select the language and click Continue > click on the Utilities Menu in the menu bar > select Disk Utility > select your HD in the panel on the left side (the name of the HDā€™s manufacturer and the model number, usually the top item in the list) > look at the bottom of the main window next to S.M.A.R.T. status and see if it says ā€œVerifiedā€ (good) or something more ominous like ā€œFailing.ā€

If S.M.A.R.T. status is "Verified," run Repair Disk > click Repair Disk at bottom of main window. Run this at least twice, and keep running it until it says ā€œappears okā€ twice in a row. If that doesnā€™t happen, you may need a stronger utility (such as DriveGenius, TechToolPro, DiskWarrior) or if the directory is damaged beyond repair, you may need to reinstall the OS, or you may have a damaged HD which will need to be replaced (repair utilities can only repair the directory structure, not the HD itself). When this is finished, quit Disk Utility, quit the installer, and restart. Once booted normally, go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions.

Aug 16, 2011 1:56 PM in response to tjk

I tried putting the disc in, but it wouldn't go in! Darn it... Right now my laptop is completely off so maybe that's why... but when I pushed the power button and held C, it made the same noise... Am I at a dead end? I was going to try replacing the hard drive... I would take it into an Apple store but the closest one is about 7 hours away šŸ™‚

black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.