Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GUID for backup?

Yet another partition/backup question. I've searched and read, but still need to ask...

I have a new iMac and want to do several HD backups for redundancy and safety. I have made my first backup on one HD which I am devoting just to the iMac.

I use SuperDuper and external LaCie d2Quadra drives. I'd like to have a backup bootable copy of the iMac and the MBP on each of 3 other drives. I know if the drive fails I loose the backups of both computers, but if I have copies of both computers on several different drives I should be OK.

From the directions on SD's site for preparing the drive and partitioning:

4. Use Disk Utility's controls to divide the drive as needed, even as a single large partition. Use "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format type and name appropriately

5. Click the Options button

6. Choose the proper partition scheme (GUID for Intel macs, Apple Partition Map for Power PC) and accept the page

7. Click Partition.

Partitioning in GUID seems to be the right choice.

Using GUID, and remembering that one of the last steps in a HD SmartUpdate on SD says something like, "make bootable," I assume that the drive will be bootable for both the iMac and the MBP.

With GUID, can a partition with photos stored on it be accessed by PPC iBook? Can photos & docs be accessed by the iBook if they are on the iMac partition?

Final question, earlier I made a backup of the MBP on yet a different drive - I'm pretty sure I used APM as the partition scheme. Does that mean that copy is not bootable?

Thanks for your help,

Mrs H

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 4:35 PM

All OS X drives should be partitioned using GUID and formatted Mac OS Extended, Journaled. You can store any files on such a drive regardless of their source.

Intel Macs cannot boot from an APM partitioned drive. You can make any number of partitions on a single drive. The GUID map applies to the entire drive regardless of how many partitions you then make on that drive.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2011 4:35 PM in response to Mrs H

All OS X drives should be partitioned using GUID and formatted Mac OS Extended, Journaled. You can store any files on such a drive regardless of their source.

Intel Macs cannot boot from an APM partitioned drive. You can make any number of partitions on a single drive. The GUID map applies to the entire drive regardless of how many partitions you then make on that drive.

Aug 11, 2011 8:10 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

Just to be clear - since suddenly, as I rethink this, I'm muddled.

About a year ago I asked a slightly similar question but for different computers (my G4 and the Intel MBP). At that time I was told by others on the forum to use APM and the drive could be bootable for both the G4 and the MBP.

My situation has changed since the G4 is out of the picture.

But, what about the old info I was given - it's wrong? APM won't boot the Intel Macs is what I understand you to be saying, right?

Mrs H

PS I found this in another answer to another poster's question - it is basically what I was told elsewhere, I just can't find it quickly and my 15 min edit time is almost gone...

“Note that you can boot an Intel Mac from a drive using the Apple Partition Map. What you can't do is install onto it, for which GUID is needed”

Aug 11, 2011 8:28 PM in response to Mrs H

Intel Macs can actually boot from APM partitioned drives. But the trick is getting a bootable Intel system onto an APM partitioned drive. The Intel OS X installer checks to see that a drive is GUID partitioned, and if it isn't, it will refuse to install OS X on that drive.

What you can do is install an Intel OS X onto a GUID partitioned drive, and then use a cloning utility (SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility et al) to clone the entire volume from the GUID drive to a volume on an APM partitioned drive. The Intel Mac can then boot from that.

Aug 12, 2011 12:12 PM in response to Király

Király wrote:

Intel Macs can actually boot from APM partitioned drives. But the trick is getting a bootable Intel system onto an APM partitioned drive. The Intel OS X installer checks to see that a drive is GUID partitioned, and if it isn't, it will refuse to install OS X on that drive.

What you can do is install an Intel OS X onto a GUID partitioned drive, and then use a cloning utility (SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, Disk Utility et al) to clone the entire volume from the GUID drive to a volume on an APM partitioned drive. The Intel Mac can then boot from that.

OK - I'm back to being very confused 😕 😕 after I thought I understood what I did in the past was right.

I am not installing OS X onto the HD - just making a SuperDuper copy of an existing install on my MBP.

Trying to find what I remember reading in the past and searching for other similar replies elsewhere, I found this from Kappy:

"You can clone an existing Intel installation of OS X to an APM partitioned drive, and it will boot an Intel Mac. However, you cannot install the Intel version of OS X onto an APM partitioned drive."

So - am I correct in thinking that what I did will be bootable? - one of my external HDs is partitioned using APM onto one partition I made a SuperDuper copy of my MackBook Pro (Intel) and saw that "make copy bootable" is checked off at the end of the SmartUpdate sequence.

Is this procedure giving me a bootable copy for my Intel MBP?

Otherwise, I'll redo the backup and put the backup of the iBook on a different drive - more work, but necessary if what I have is no good.

Thanks, and sorry for being so dense here,

Mrs H

Aug 12, 2011 1:59 PM in response to Mrs H

Ideally, use GUID. But if you've already made a clone, connect it to the MBP and restart with the alt (option or ⌥) key held down until the startup manager appears. It should show both drives.

Select the external, click the arrow to continue, and see if it boots. If it doesn't show or doesn't boot you'll need to repartition as GUID.

Incidentally, if the MBP boots, but you're not sure which system it's booted to, open a Finder window and check the 'devices' list at the top. If you're booted to the MBP's internal drive, Macintosh HD will be at the top, if the external has booted, it will be at the top.

Typos edited by: noondaywitch

Message was edited by: noondaywitch

Aug 12, 2011 7:17 PM in response to noondaywitch

noondaywitch wrote:

Ideally, use GUID. But if you've already made a clone, connect it to the MBP and restart with the alt (option or ⌥) key held down until the startup manager appears. It should show both drives.

Select the external, click the arrow to continue, and see if it boots. If it doesn't show or doesn't boot you'll need to repartition as GUID....

Now, why didn't I figure out on my own that I should just test the thing???

How do I get out of the test once I see (fingers crossed) it works?

Hopefully it will boot. I can't get to the MBP to do the test till tomorrow when I can pry the MBP away from Mr H.

I am about to do a new iteration of backups for our various Macs since the new iMac is now in the mix and I'm just hoping this old APM backup of the MBP won't have to be redone. I have a new HD to share with the MBP and iMac and need to partition it depending on what I decide to do with Tiger...

Thanks for suggesting what I should have tried all along! 🙂

Mrs H

Aug 13, 2011 1:02 PM in response to noondaywitch

Easy test - it shows up in the list of Startup Disks.

I should have thought of this - I've used this method to test bootables before.

Thanks for all your help,

Mrs H

PS A related curiosity: Do you reformat your USB thumb drives as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or just leave them as they are if they work? I've done it both ways.

Aug 13, 2011 1:37 PM in response to noondaywitch

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I never used to bother with this, but I think before we start reusing the drives on our next trip, I'll reformat them as you say. A big problem now is getting them connected to our new iMac https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3259045

I have one Sandisk drive that all of a sudden wouldn't mount when we were somewhere in the middle of nowhere in India. Good thing we had 2 others with us and kept dup copies of all writing.

I can see it in system profiler and in disk utility but not on desktop nor in finder on any of 3 Macs. In DU I was able to select it and verify and repair. But still nothing.

I'm going to try to reformat it and see what happens - whatever data is on it was duped on the other 2 anyway. I wonder if Mr H didn't eject it properly but he swears he did do it right. Can it be it just died?

Thanks,

Mrs H

Aug 13, 2011 1:54 PM in response to Mrs H

Macs can be a bit finicky with thumb drives, but I've had no problems with Sandisk. Improper removal could very easily cause Finder to throw a wobbly with it though. I'd expect to see the warning dialogue when reconnecting it, but it depends what Finder was doing when it was removed.

And yes, it is possible it just died; Flash storage is useful, but not as stable as hard discs.

Aug 13, 2011 2:07 PM in response to noondaywitch

noondaywitch wrote:

Macs can be a bit finicky with thumb drives, but I've had no problems with Sandisk... I'd expect to see the warning dialogue when reconnecting it, but it depends what Finder was doing when it was removed.

No warning, it just doesn't show up.

I have several newer Sandisk thumb drives with the annoying U3 app on them useful only for windows I think.

When you've reformated your Sandisks with DU, does U3 go away if you repartition and zero-out the drive? I saw that Sandisk offers a removal of U3 utility for Macs but it got very mixed reviews.

Thanks,

Mrs H

And trouble now is I can't get the drives to connect to the iMac - have to call AppleCare about that.

GUID for backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.