Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of sudden my iCal iPhone is not syncing dates to my iCal MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 3:09 PM

11 replies

Nov 16, 2011 1:37 AM in response to jonathan244

Make sure that on the Iphone Ical settings, only the calendar(s) for "Icloud" are selected and when you make a new entry on your Iphone-Ical, make sure that that you check the (an) Icloud calendar. Also go to general settings on the Iphone and open "Mail, Contacts,Calendars" Go the the bottom section "Calendars" and make sure the Default calendar is set to an Icloud one. A new entry on the Iphone should take a few seconds to get onto your Macbook or whatever.

Jan 25, 2012 6:09 PM in response to JohnMacDonald

After months of wondering why my i phone would no long sync to ical, here is what worked for me moments ago. Aassuming you have all the data you need in your iphone, this should work for you:

1. Export / Back up desktop calendar data file.

2. Delete desktop calendar data in Username/Library/Calendars

3. Close ical & re-open to make sure it is in fact empty

4. Go into desktop itunes and sync with your iphone just like you usually do (with calendar option checked)

5. Your iphone will overwrite everything in ical

6. Your next entry in iphone will sync with ical

7. when you are sure everything works properly, you can delete your backup file

Mar 12, 2012 7:46 PM in response to JohnMacDonald

Hi! I'm new to these help forums, but find myself with a similar problem: iphone calendar no longer syncing with icloud/ical on mac. icloud and ical are syncing with each other, but I enter most of my appointments via iphone and need it to sync with the other calendars.

JohnMacDonald, when you mention, within iphone, to be sure the default calendar is set to an "icloud" one ... the only options I have are "from my mac" and "emailaddress@me.com". Is the old mobile me calendar now considered the icloud calendar? In other areas of my iphone and within the ical on my mac, the term "icloud" is used when referring to icloud items. ?? Currently, I do have the default calendar in iphone set to "calendar" "from my mac", which is how (I thought) it was set up at the Apple store.

I am concerned with trying Lisa533's remedy, since I am not 100% that all my necessary data is in iphone calendar; over time, I have entered things in both iphone and ical on my mac, so not sure what is where now.

Also, I though the guy at Apple store specifically said NOT to sync via itunes b/c calendars would be syncing via icloud. So, I'm hesitant to delete and resync via itunes. I currently do not have sync calendars checked in itunes.

PLEASE HELP A NEW MAC USER! 😕 THANK YOU!!

Mar 12, 2012 11:59 PM in response to lilkimsobe

Hi,

If your home mac computer is syncing with Icloud then the icloud calendars should be visible when you open Ical on your Iphone and push the little "wheel" to "show all calendars". Here one must hide all Local Calendars and show all Icloud. Now if you go back to the main Iphone Settings and choose "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"....scroll down to Calendars where you will see "Default Calendar". Touch to open that and make sure you have one selected from the Icloud.

Mar 13, 2012 6:13 AM in response to JohnMacDonald

Thank you for your reply!! I appreciate it!! I'm still having a problem though 😟... I did a few test appointments and here are the results:

*entered appt on mac ical: did appear on icloud, with 3 hr time difference (3 hrs earlier on icloud); did appear on iphone, as a me.com calendar appt, with correct time

*entered appointment on icloud: appeared on iphone, as a me.com calendar appt, but with 3hr time difference (3 hrs later on iphone); did not show up on mac ical

*entered appt on iphone, as "me.com" calendar appt: showed up on icloud with 3 hr time difference (3 hrs earlier on icloud); did not appear on mac ical

[as a side note, initially I had entered appt on iphone as "on my mac" calendar appt and it did not show up anywhere. so I guess the answer on iphone is to change all appts to "me.com" calendar. urghhh But this still does not resolve why appts are not appearing on mac ical, which should be auto syncing with icloud ??]

So, it seems mac ical is syncing with icloud and subsequently iphone; iphone and icloud are syncing together; but icloud is not syncing back with mac ical. Also have the issue of time difference. I do not have the time zone box checked in icloud settings nor in mac ical. I tried checking it, but it did not resolve the time difference issue.

In ical on mac, the options for calendars are: icloud, calendar and home. I have them both checked. Which may be why appts entered on mac ARE syncing with icloud/iphone ... the problem may lie in icloud, which does not seem to be syncing it's appts back to mac. ?? Within icloud calendar, the calendar options listed are: calendar and home, I have them both checked.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this within icloud??

Many thanks!

Kim

Mar 13, 2012 7:12 AM in response to JohnMacDonald

UPDATE: 30 mins later, all TEST appointments appeared on mac ical!! However, the time discrepancy is still occuring. I guess the syncing is taking a long time. 😐 And, I will still have to change ALL appts on iphone to "me.com" calendar from the "on my mac" calendar. Why does iphone even offer the "on my mac" option since it doesn't seem to sync with mac??

I thought the Genius Bar set up iphone to sync with "on my mac" since all supposed to sync via icloud anyway. Who knows. All so confusing!

Still looking for time difference resolution, if you have any ideas!

Thank you!!

Mar 13, 2012 8:08 AM in response to lilkimsobe

When you sign into Icloud click on your name at the top right and see if you have the correct timezone engaged.

I do NOT have the "enable time zone support" enabled in the online Icloud, Ical preferences and it still syncs for me through all three platforms. It does take a few minuted, thats true. To be truthfull one doesn't use the online Icloud Ical very often but it is useful to have the Iphone and Mac Ical calendars syncing properly as these are the ones we use the most. Don't forget to export an archive of your mac Ical as a backup in case something really gets messed up. (file/export/IcalAchive)

Jul 14, 2012 7:44 AM in response to lisa533

Lisa533: You suggestion worked a miracle! I had made the mistake of backing up my iPhone and iPad to iCloud, which caused everything to appear in duplicate and then triplicate, etc. When I changed it all back to syncing with my MacBook, iCal in my MB simply would not take in any changes from my mobile devices. Spent an hour at the Genius Bar. They told me to back up, then restore my phone. That did exactly nothing. I searched and searched until I found this discussion. Then the weirdest thing happened. As Lisa533 suggested, I started through her list:

1. Export / Back up desktop calendar data file.

2. Delete desktop calendar data in Username/Library/Calendars

3. Close ical & re-open to make sure it is in fact empty...

but at no. 3, when I reopened iCal, all the entries that hadn't synced were magically there! I don't know what happened, because I deleted everying in Username/Library/Calendars and didn't sync with anything before reopening. It was as if all the synced info had been hiding behind the calendar I saw on my MB, and when I deleted everything in the calendar program, all the synced info came out of hiding. But that can't be it, can it? It worked, hoorah, but I'd really like to understand why.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.