Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to restore after crash and rebuild but Time Machine isn't seeing my NAS drive.

My MacBook Pro had it's first crash in 6 years or daily use and abuse. Came home from work and had the "You need to restart your mac, hold down the power button" screen in 10 languages. After a heart attack, a visit the the neighborhood bar for a couple shots, I came home and spent most of the night troubleshooting:

• wouldn't boot in safe mode (holding down shift...just sat there with the grey apple and spinning icon for hours)
  • booted off OS disc and ran Disc Utility (it said everything was fine)
  • booted with hardware test off install disc and ran extended test (said everything was fine)

Still wouldn't boot off hardrive, so I gave up and said "hey, this is why I spent hundreds on the backup drive and have been running Time Machine for a month, so I'll just wipe it clean and restore." Well...here's where the fun begins:

Erased the disc and reloaded Snow Leopard. All seems to be working fine. Mac sees the Buffalo Linkstation Duo drive just fine, can copy info back and forth...all's good. I reboot using the Snow Leopard disk and go to Utilities/Restore ... and the drive isn't there to restore from. The drive is obviously operating fine...this is an issue with Time Machine (likely one of Apple's 'If you don't buy our product we're going to make it really hard for you" type of things).

Any Ideas on how to get it to show up?

Thanks

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 4:11 PM

Start with Pondini's tips.

2 replies

Aug 11, 2011 6:28 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks baltwo

I saw Pondini's comments on several posts that were related but either not quite the same issue, or noone had figured out the solution yet. I think I may have it solved though.

I found a couple posts elsewhere that laid out some clear solutions. I tried them and they appear to have worked...it's working on a restore now, it says two hours left so I'll know soon.

The big part I was missing was how to mount the drive from Terminal when working off the OS disc. After booting regularly off the harddrive, I was able to connect to the NAS using terminal with SMB://ipaddress ... and it would even stay connected after regular reboot...however after rebooting using the CD is no longer saw the NAS, not in Time Machine or Disk Utility or System Profile. I tried smb again using the Terminal in the Utilities menu but it wouldn't accept it.

I found this info on how to mount and it worked like a charm...http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2009103103534090 .... then TimeMachine saw the drive and everything so far has gone smoothly.

I did bookmark Pondini's site for forther reading later, seemed to have some good info there.

Trying to restore after crash and rebuild but Time Machine isn't seeing my NAS drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.