Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th gen iPod just died. Or did it?

Left ipod in car charging, like I always do. Came out from work and it said it was charged. So I unplugged it and tried to listen. Screen frozen. So I put it "to sleep" and now I can't get it back no matter what I do. I plug it in to the mac and it doesn't show up. It's old, it's been reliable, but I'd rather not buy a new one if I can help it. I have replaced the battery about a year ago. And the only other variable here might be I bought a non apple car charger for it and this is the first time I used that charger. Thoughts? help? THANKS in advance

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 3:10 PM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2011 5:44 AM in response to MW1957

Have you tried letting it charge with your Apple branded cable via a USB port or wall outlet? What about a hard reset? To do this, press and hold both the Select (Center) and Menu buttons together for at least 10 - 15 seconds, perhaps even longer? Don't be afraid to try this procedure more than once.

B-rock

Aug 12, 2011 9:21 AM in response to planb77

Thanks for the reply b-rock. Yes. I have plugged it in to the Mac with Apple usb. Does not do anything and does not show up in iTunes as being connected. I have tried the hard start a dozen times. I will say now that I do it again, my "select" button may be faulty....doesn't "click" like the buttons around the dial do...any other suggestions? Could my battery be fried?

5th gen iPod just died. Or did it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.