Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The FaceTime notification won't disappear

I have one missed Facetime call, but I can't seem to get rid of the number 1. Any ideas? I've clicked on the missed call, but that hasn't cleared it.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2016 8:04 AM

What everyone is seeing to this particular problem is the "Notification Badge app icon" for FaceTime, Not a missed call although it shows the same Red indicator as well.

All you need to do is go to system preferences->Notifications-> and scroll down to FaceTime. Look to the right of that and if your like me you uncheck the Badge App icon box and you should see that annoying red notification disappear.

Now I don't know if its a bug or a conflict with the new OS X El Capitan or other OS versions but this will fix that problem.

Let me know if this works for everyone.

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.12

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2016 8:04 AM in response to claudeFromToulouse

What everyone is seeing to this particular problem is the "Notification Badge app icon" for FaceTime, Not a missed call although it shows the same Red indicator as well.

All you need to do is go to system preferences->Notifications-> and scroll down to FaceTime. Look to the right of that and if your like me you uncheck the Badge App icon box and you should see that annoying red notification disappear.

Now I don't know if its a bug or a conflict with the new OS X El Capitan or other OS versions but this will fix that problem.

Nov 3, 2011 12:12 AM in response to Ukiahpup

Same here, I HATE IT. !😠!

I just fixed this on mine, and I think this is what did it:

1) Quit Application

2) Right click on Facetime icon in dock

3) Click on "Show Recents" near the bottom

4) Screen should show dimmed desktop, clear of all app windows

5) Click anywhere and it should return to the previously occupied desktop, minus the missed call badge on the dock icon.

note: This is after I cleared the missed and recent calls in a furious frenzy, so I'm not sure if this will show other calls or missed ones if one hasn't cleared them yet, but in the future, I'll just keep all my missed calls and click the arrows for info on each one, perhaps I deleted the call without checking the info and the badge got stuck...

Anyway, hope this helps.

Jul 7, 2014 7:40 PM in response to Molokini

For me, I don't have a camera on my Mac. So the notification was stuck. I couldn't access FaceTime Preferences because FaceTime never truly activated due to there not being a camera.

What I did was open up Notification Center:

Top Right on the Status Bar there are three horizontal bars like a bar graph, click those

Then you can X out of the "Missed" notifications, just like if you dragged the top of the screen down on your iPhone/iPod

Then I disabled notifications for FaceTime by going to:

Apple Logo > System Preferences > Notifications

Finding FaceTime in the list and deselecting all the checkboxes

Jan 4, 2016 8:07 AM in response to Ukiahpup

What everyone is seeing to this particular problem is the "Notification Badge app icon" for FaceTime. Not a missed call although it shows the same Red indicator as well.

The FaceTime notification won't disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.