Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone doesn't connect automatically to strongest network

This in more of a nuissance than a straight up problem. Wondering if anyone else experiences this.

I have a two story house which requires separate upstairs and downstairs wi-fi networks to get good signal strength. Passwords to both are of course stored in the phone. When I go from one floor to the other, the phone stays connected to the 1st network despite struggling along with one bar while a 5 bar network is available to it. I have to manually go through settings to switch networks.

My Macbook is smart enough to choose the strongest network when I go between floors. Do iPhones just not do this?

Alternatively, is there a way to merge both floors' networks into one somehow?

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 10:19 PM

4 replies

Aug 12, 2011 12:30 AM in response to jdj74

Usually iphone or even mac joins a previously known network automatically. I have not seen my mac switch automatically from one to another unless it drops the weak one due to signal strength.

Yes, you can extend your wifi through the house making it just one network. Not sure what routers etc you are using but for Apple's airport networks, you can take look at this http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

iphone doesn't connect automatically to strongest network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.