Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad Elf GPS Receiver

Hi All

I'm looking at getting a Bad Elf GPS receiver for my iPad 2 (WiFi only)

http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/

If anyone has used this product, can you share your experience with it? Which apps it works well with and which ones they don't.

Thanks

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 12:45 AM

7 replies

Mar 2, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

I must be thick as I simply don't understand. Reading the referenced article above, it states that the Bad Elf "won't turn your iPad into a Google Maps machine as you still need an internet connection to use GPS with online services". I thought that using the Bad Elf with Google Maps would be adequate, but now I really don't know. Garmin and the others don't have internet access when using their GPS so why would Bad Elf? Tried looking for someone who actually uses the Bad Elf to know exactly what I'm buying or not buying.

Mar 2, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Boyd Porter

Just received a reply from Bad Elf and it confirms pretty much what that article said. I was told that Google Maps would not provide voice turn by turn directions as an internet connection is required to access their maps. He recommended an app called Co-Pilot where you can evidently download maps free, or download the entire US for $10. From what I understand, we need the GPS device and an app that includes downloaded maps, unlike Google Maps. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Mar 2, 2015 12:06 PM in response to georgefromlutz

A mini-education:

GPS signals are separate from and completely unrelated to both the Internet and the cellular telephone network. GPS signals come directly from the GPS satellites. They provide signals that allow GPS receivers to calculate latitude and longitude information. Map software then takes that latitude/longitude info and converts it to land mass, roads, bridges, highways, buildings, etc. Navigation software is "map software on steroids." It goes one step further in that it provides real-time directions to enable you to reach a desired destination.

Most navigation software stores the maps right in the iPad/iPod/iPhone but a disadvantage is that the maps must be periodically updated (perhaps once/year). The Internet is not required to use the system but it is required to update the maps.

Some navigation software gets the maps from the Internet and requires an Internet connection to function but an advantage is that the maps are always up-to-date.

The WiFi+3G/4G iPad and the iPhone both have a GPS receiver. The WiFi-only iPad and the iPod do not and these devices require an accessory.

Mar 2, 2015 12:07 PM in response to georgefromlutz

georgefromlutz wrote:

I must be thick as I simply don't understand. Reading the referenced article above, it states that the Bad Elf "won't turn your iPad into a Google Maps machine as you still need an internet connection to use GPS with online services". I thought that using the Bad Elf with Google Maps would be adequate, but now I really don't know.

Google Maps needs an internet connection to download the maps as you move along. Bad Elf as I said on the other thread you posted to, only provides the location, nothing more.

Garmin has an App to go with their GPS hardware, that allows you to download the Map files/ data before hand, so you do not require an internet connection later to download them while navigating.

There are other Apps in the store that allow this as well.

Again, The GPS hardware is only 1 part of the navigation equation.

Bad Elf GPS Receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.