Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fonts damaged after upgrading to Lion

Hey everyone!

I recently upgraded to Lion OS and I have realized that some fonts in my FontBook don't work.

In more details, the fonts cannot be validated, and the error " kern table structure and contents" appears.

I tried FontDoctor, but it could not even find the problem with those fonts.

Is there any way to fix this? I reinstalled the fonts, but nothing changed.

Any ideas???

thank you!😕

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 1:23 AM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2012 2:21 PM in response to marianna_s

The most common font issue when upgrading the OS is the font cache files get damaged.

Close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current user font cache files. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

Please post back with the results.

Jul 9, 2012 6:32 PM in response to amkr16

Okay. It was the simplest thing to try first, though I wasn't expecting a miricle. 🙂

You mention that you've already replaced all of the fonts on the system with known good copies, so I think that takes the fonts themselves out of the picture.

The other common problem in an upgrade over an existing OS is Font Book's database getting trashed.

Restart and immediately hold down the Shift key to start into Safe Mode. You can let go of the Shift key when you see the progress bar towards the bottom of the initial gray screen. You will be asked to login. When it finishes booting to the desktop, restart again normally.

This clears all cache files from the user account you log into in Safe Mode. More importantly, it clears Font Book's database.

Do not launch Font Book yet!

If you have any third party fonts in the /Library/Fonts/ folder, or the Fonts folder in your user account, move them out to a new folder on the desktop. Now launch Font Book so it can create a new database based only on the fonts supplied with the OS.

What happens now?

Fonts damaged after upgrading to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.