Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto videos not recognized

It appears that iMovie does not recognize videos in my iPhoto libraries that are on my external hard drive.

I am wanting to transfer all my videos to DVD now.... but over time my hard drive has been maxed out, so iPhoto libraries have been taken off year by year. So, even now, I have all years of photos on an external drive to just leave enough space for all my videos and 2011 photos to remain on my hard drive.

Is it that my iPhoto library MUST be on my hard drive for iMovie to recognize?

I tried exporting my iPhoto movies from iPhoto to a folder on my hard drive and then import into iMovie, but it said the file type was not recognized or something along that sort. I had gone to iMovie help and it indicated I needed to have Quicktime 7 installed... I have Quicktime 10 installed....

It isn't format because it is the same camera creating the movies in previous years and my 2011 iPhoto library.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhone 4, iPod nano 3rd gen, iPod nano 4th gen, Airport Express

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 8:24 AM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2011 11:04 AM in response to kahlua021997

I am having a similar problem. I recently downloaded iLife 11 and now imovie says that my movies in iphoto are not compatible and they are not showing in imovie. I'm using the same camera that I've used for my previous movies and it has always worked before.

I can import them one by one, but it's a long process. I thought that the newer version was supposed to make things easier.

Any help would be much appreciated.

iphoto videos not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.