Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "Show Recents" supposed to do?

In Lion, when you right-click (Cntrl+click) on an app icon in the dock (an app not running), one of the menu choices is "Show Recents". When I choose it, my open apps and windows go away, desktop icons disappear, and my desktop dims. What is this? What is supposed to happen? Can't find anything about it.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Dual Core 2.66 Xeon

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 11:40 AM

11 replies

Jan 5, 2016 2:28 AM in response to macboyinsf

Years on and no answers. Lovley.

I'm trying to figure out how to clear it after having some private photos show up when accidentally hitting it during a presentation.

My hopes aren't high. They'll probably remain stuck there for another year or so.

Typical of Apple's sloppy developer work.

Another strange, underdeveloped app with not a scant of documentation.

Thanks Apple for wasting more of your users productivity.

Jan 5, 2016 11:05 AM in response to BobHarris

I'm fully aware I'm not talking to Apple and that these forums are not properly used by Apple to address their myriad of fixable problems.
If so, they might actually be much more aware and capable of solving, fixing or at the very least addressing them so their customers time is not squandered fishing for answers in these endless forums.

How a company with such wealth can have so many unfixed and unaddressed software problems has flummoxed me for decades.

Again,

I'm trying to figure out how to clear the items that show up in 'Show Recents' in Preview after having some private photos show up when accidentally hitting the feature during a presentation.

And again, my hopes are far from high as these same old images, despite many more recent ones I have opened remain stuck in this mystery cue...
and I'm guessing will likely remain stuck for some time.

Jan 5, 2016 12:15 PM in response to Greenbot

System Preferences -> General -> Recent Items: None

User uploaded file

Then from an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal session

killall Dock

-OR-

Logout/Login

-OR-

Reboot the Mac

Then when you Control-Click on Preview in the Dock you do not see any recent items listed in the pop-up,

And if you click on the "Show Recents" nothing appears on the desktop.

This happens both right after restarting the Dock, as well as after using Preview to open any documents.

What is "Show Recents" supposed to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.