Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail Badge won't update

Using Lion Mail. I set up a Gmail account and the badge beside the account always says I have nine mails. How many I actually have dosen't matter, it's always nine (this in classic mode, of course). It also passes that incorrect data to the dock badge on the mail app. Please help, it really effects the way I use the products (In never know when I have new mail).

Thanks.

Powerbook G4

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 12:50 PM

10 replies

Aug 15, 2011 11:41 PM in response to Scott Nash

Ok. Not finding any solutions. How about this. Anyone know where that data is polled from? It's not in the prefs, I trashed and rebuilt those. It's not in the mailbox in app support, I trashed and rebuilt that too. Mail has about a million little files associated with it. Can anyone at least help me narrow down this problem a little? It's geting that very specifc number from somewhere. Ok, when it's working properly where does it get the number? Maybe I can troubleshoot it by tracing where the data is SUPPOSED to come from.

Aug 16, 2011 5:53 PM in response to Marc Wilson

When I go to google it tells me how many mails I have and what mail is in what box. Apple has duplicate copies of all folders and all the mail in it accratrly reflects whatever google has. The problem -- the ONLY problem -- is that apple displays that information incorrectly. In the 'favorites bar' it tells me one of my accounts has nine mails no matter how many I have (the mail box -- even the APPLE mailbox -- has all the mail accuratly). If I open the sidebar, it lists the inboxes, and the one beside the box in question is wrong. It says nine. Furthermore, it passes that data to the dock. So it's all working, it's only displaying the data wrong, and that wrong data is displayed in all the badges. I can't explaine it any clearer than that, but I think it's pretty obvious.

If you want to help, I appreciate it. If you want to act like I'm a moron then move along. I'm not and your opinion isn't important to me. I just want to knock out this last lingering problem that is making me not like Lion as much as Snow Leapord.

Aug 18, 2011 12:19 PM in response to Scott Nash

Ok. With the help of tech support, I managed to fix this problem. Since I'm clearly NOT a moron who just doesn't know what I'm doing, I suspect it's possible others might have the same problem. The issue was the envelope index file in the library.

~library/mail/v2/mail data/envelope index

If you delete that file it forces a 'deep rebuild' that recollects ALL your metadata. It does not have recall your data from the servers, just the hard drive so it's pretty quick. After about four minutes of rebuilding, all my stuff reappeared and the badges were correct.

This is similar, but more extensive than the 'rebuild' at the bottom of the mailbox menu. That didn't work, but this did.

Gmail Badge won't update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.