Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Half Black and White half Color Video

Is there a way to take a full color video and make half of the video black and white and the other half full color? For instance imagine a line down the center of the video, on the left the video is black and white, on the right side it's full color. Taking that concept if an object or person moves from the left to the right side of the screen, thus crossing that invisible line they automatically switch from black and white to color.

Almost like a video mask overlay.. How would I accomplish this in FCP? I have FCPS not FCPX

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 3.4GHZ 16GB RAM

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 12:53 PM

5 replies

Aug 12, 2011 2:15 PM in response to MJax4

As MJax stated, duplicate your video clip and crop in the Motion tab is one way if you want a straight line.

But a better way to convert to B & W is using the FILTERS > CHANNEL > Channel Mixer Filter, as you get better control of your black and white image... To use it, apply it to your filter, make sure "Monochrome" is selected and play around with the rgb #s... by default it will set R to 1... try setting R to .6 and G to .4. And go from there... The trick is that the numbers you select should add up to 1, anything over 1 will make your video over exposed (and under 1, under exposed), unless that is the look you are going after.

Aug 12, 2011 5:34 PM in response to Christina Rodriguez

Is there a way to do it without Cutting the video... we are simply taking 1 single video and wanting to make half of it black and white and half Color (same video all the way through... at one point a guy on the left (Black and White side) will walk to the Color side (Right Side) and back again... but regardless the Left is B&W and the right is color. Everything has to remain in sync and everything... hence the thought of perhaps a overlay Filter on only half the video...

Sorry, never done anything like this before (and first time using FCP)... I was hoping I could do it in iMovie, but its not possible from what I understand.

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2011 5:48 PM in response to NASCAR3D

Why would duplicating the video onto a track above mess up the sync?

What you need to do is edit your piece first, once EVERYTHING is where it should be, THEN do the effects...

unlink your audio (shift-L), select all of your video clips, shift-option click and drag up. Select one of your clips, apply the desaturate or channel mixer effect and the crop... Now, if you do not have any other filters already applied to your clips, select your clip and press command-c to copy. select the rest of the clips that will be destaurated/cropped and right click, select paste attributes. Select filters and Crop, and viola... Tell me where the loss of sync is?

Make sure to press shift-L again so that your audio & video is linked.

Half Black and White half Color Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.