Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro (2008) won't start - led flashes

it's been a while since i've had a mac issue.

today my mac pro decided not to boot up. the led light by the power button simply flashes and i have no image on my monitor and it doesn't chime at attempted start up. i've scoured the forums and it appears it may be an issue with the RAM and/or video card.

in this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2704189?answerId=12852794022#12852794022 - a poster said:

"If the status light still flashes, determine the number of flashes to identify the problem:

• One short flash followed by a longer off period: No valid memory.

• Three short flashes followed by a longer off period: Failed memory."

does anyone know what continuous led flashing might mean?

mac pro 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 1:53 PM

8 replies

Aug 12, 2011 7:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The conventional way to proceed when you have no chime is to remove all items that may be dragging down the power supply if they were malfunctioning.

Remove:

Hard drives

optical drives

PCI slot cards including the graphics card

all the memory except the minimum -- be sure to remove and re-insert each module that remains, to clear corrosion. If your Mac has separate riser cards, remove and re-insert them as well.

Try to start up again, looking for the chime.

A) If you get the chime, add the graphics card so you can see what is happening. The minimum needed to do something is to start up while holding down the Option key, to run the [all-in-ROM] Startup Manager. It will show a blue screen and an image for each bootable drive (there won't be any yet).

Then add in the optical drive and attempt to boot from an Installer/Utilities DVD appropriate for your Mac, or try the Apple Hardware Test DVD (and hold down the D key as you start up, as it says on the face of the DVD).

B) If you don't get the chime, it's off to the repair shop.

mac pro (2008) won't start - led flashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.