Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inserting a USB thumb/flash drive

OK - this is probably the studipest question I've asked yet -

How do I connect my USB flash/thumb drives (Sandisk and HP) to my new iMac?

I don't want to force them in - they fit fine in the USB ports on our MacBook Pro and iBook - but they really don't seem to fit into the ports on the back of the screen of the iMac.

I have a USB keyboard with a USB port on each side. It came with a cord that seems to allow you to connect USB devices to it - I suspect because the overhange of the keyboard prevents the plug fitting in on the side. Again, it's a really tight fit -so tight that I don't want to force it. What am I missing?

And while we're at it - format for the USB drive? I've only done this once, but it dawns on me I bet the drives come in MBR and need to be reformatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and partitioned in GUID.

Thanks,

Mrs H

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 7:44 PM

13 replies

Aug 12, 2011 8:12 PM in response to Mrs H

USB should be USB - they should fit; are you sure you are trying to insert them the right way? I am forever forgetting which way and quite often wind up trying the wrong side first. So, try turning them - I also find that the back of the iMac is not easiest to get anything plugged in. I'd not use the keyboard because that usually does not provide enough power. And, you are correct, you should format them in Disk Utility once the icons show up on the desktop.

Aug 13, 2011 1:20 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

USB should be USB - they should fit; are you sure you are trying to insert them the right way?...

I also find that the back of the iMac is not easiest to get anything plugged in.

Of course I am inserting them in in the right way. And, as I said, they fit fine in the USB ports on our MBP, iBook and dellminis.

I was able, with an almighty shove, to insert a Sandisk drive into the USB extension cable. (I gave up on trying to plug the flash drive into the rear of the iMac.)

Getting the drive out of the extension cable port was another story. Mr H had to give an even almightier tug and had little confidence that it would ever come out. We tried to insert the male end of the extension cable into the female end and it was nearly impossible to get in and out.

I suspect I'll have to call AppleCare and hope that they will replace the cable.

Be that as it may, is the extension cable or a USB hub going to be my only easy way to connect a flash drive to the iMac?

Mrs H

Aug 13, 2011 1:45 PM in response to Mrs H

No, it shouldn't be and I wasn't trying to imply you didn't insert them correctly, but not being able to see what you are doing makes helping more difficult. Since you have Applecare, I would call and explain the situation and mention that the same devices fit your other Macs - just not this one with a subtle hint that there might be something wrong/different about those ports and see where the conversation goes. On iMacs, the USB ports are part of the logic board which is an expensive replacement, but certainly covered under the warranty. In the meantime, if you do have a hub, use that - it may be easier to get to anyway. And I would not use an extension cable - USB has relatively short cords for a reason (I believe 6 ft is usually the max) - short is better for full power.

Aug 13, 2011 2:00 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

... In the meantime, if you do have a hub, use that - it may be easier to get to anyway. And I would not use an extension cable - USB has relatively short cords for a reason (I believe 6 ft is usually the max) - short is better for full power.

I don't have a hub, I'd have to buy one.

As far as the cable goes, it came with the keyboard from Apple which my Apple store was willing to swap out for the wireless keyboard which I didn't want. See below, "What's in the box". It's about 3 feet long.

Mrs H

User uploaded file

Aug 13, 2011 2:17 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

I've never heard of an extension cable to plug in other devices for a keyboard - the keyboard has USB ports for mouse, etc. So I have no idea - except that if yours is not a wireless keyboard, is that cable supposed to be the connection of the keyboard to the Mac?

It's a wired Apple keyboard with a connection cable attached to the keyboard that plugs into the rear of the iMac.

The USB ports on the side of the keyboard are buried under the keyboard itself and virtually inaccessible. I thought Apple was being clever in providing this extension to access them more easily.

I can't imagine connecting your keyboard to the extension cable and then to the iMac unless your desktop is miles away from your screen.

Monday I'll be calling AppleCare.

Mrs H

Aug 13, 2011 2:22 PM in response to Mrs H

2 sockets. 1 cable makes little sense as an aid to using the USB connectors on the keyboard, most often I see it in use as a keyboard extension (and as this keyboard carries dc voltage for the ports it's a little heavier duty)

We don't all layout our computers the same way, for me the integrated cable is too short.

Aug 13, 2011 7:49 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

2 sockets. 1 cable makes little sense as an aid to using the USB connectors on the keyboard, most often I see it in use as a keyboard extension (and as this keyboard carries dc voltage for the ports it's a little heavier duty)

We don't all layout our computers the same way, for me the integrated cable is too short.

Thanks for that additional info. I guess it's just hard for me to imagine working on the keyboard so far from the screen. My cable from keyboard to screen is long, so long in fact that I have to have the extra length curled up behind the screen.

Regardless, what purpose do the ports on the keyboard serve? Flash drives won't really fit there - on my

old G4 keyboard the ports were in the other orientation and flash drives fit and worked - though I know the drives need power, there was enough from the old keyboard to make them work. Are you saying they wouldn't work here even if I could get them comfortably in.

And back to my original question - where/how does Apple think we are connecting flash drive to the iMac. Are we expected to have USB hubs or can the rest of the owners attach drives to the rear ports but my ports are just too tight a fit, not to mention it's a bit awkward reaching back there to access the ports. My USB external HD does fit in the port when I tested it, though I use the Firewire connection - my HDs are d2 Quadras from LaCie and I'm pretty sure Firewire 800 is faster.

Again, I'll be calling AppleCare Monday.

Mrs H

Aug 14, 2011 6:11 AM in response to Mrs H

Actually many flash drives will fit (I use a 16gb HP which fits) also several RF transmitter/receivers fit as does any standard cable, larger (older) flash drives don't but that applies to most laptops as well. I agree that the rear placement of the ports on the iMac is a bit of a pain, I just swivel the iMac around (avoiding the coffee) and then it's ok.

I accept that you are having a problem inserting into them, possibly the iMac case is marginally misaligned and the case obscures the entrance? I can't tell but taking this issue to Apple seems the sensible route.

Good luck 🙂

Sep 20, 2011 1:24 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

It's just a USB extension cable (the keyboard cable is a bit short), but I have never heard of USB plugs not fitting sockets before, even very cheap ones.

Apologies for not getting back sooner.

Problem solved, described below.

Here's an explanation I found of why one USB plug does not fit into another.

An Apple clever trick: a tiny "lug" in the male side of USB keyboard extension cable - see this discussion:

http://www.mackb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/mac-hardware/1758/Odd-USB-Extension-Cable

and

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1237982?start=0&tstart=0

It is, however, usable in the keyboard USB ports (with a tweek to its "lug" by Mr H 🙂) and works like a charm for thumb flash drives without having to climb behind the iMac to insert.

Mrs H

Inserting a USB thumb/flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.