Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Lion Cover Problem - PLZ READ!!!

Hey Guys,

i dunno if im the only one who got this Problem! But this thing is Killing me since OSX Lion is Released!!!

My Problem is the Following: All my Covers will not shown in Quick Look and as the Normal Symbol on Purchased iTunes Music or any Music File who got the Cover Inside of the File.

Look at this Screen:

User uploaded file

On Snow Leopard works everything Fine!

If i add Music to iTunes and got the Settings in iTunes to create a Copy of the Music on the iTunes Folder you adding it will Show everything Fine!

Look at the Screen:

User uploaded file

And on iTunes it will Shown anyways the Cover it doesen't matter where your files at on the Internal iTunes folder or on an External Harddrive iTunes Read out the Covers right from the Music Files!!!

User uploaded file

My Question is got anyone of you a Solution of my Problem? This Happens only on OSX Lion on Leopard everything works as a charm.

I Also Re-Installed Lion ysterday Completly New from DVD but same problem.

Is it a Official Bug from Lion or something like that?

Any other Files like .jpg .eps .pdf or Videos works Fine.

Only Music Files won't work.

THX in Advance for your Answers and Sorry for my Bad English 🙂

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 12:50 PM

Sorry in advanced but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem!

I bought my Lion OSX from the App Store, but since I installed it all the covers are just like yours on the finder folder but everything is normal on itunes.

90 replies

Aug 13, 2011 3:46 PM in response to Thebestplacehere

I won't Manage my Music and Stuff Like that over a Screensaver!

I Hope Apple Fix that Bug i want my Album Covers back as on Leopard!

Dunno why they Remove that Feature. It's Horrorable for me if i'll Check my Singles Folder and everything looks Like the Same Icon!!! It Reminds me to the Old Windows Mp3 Time :-((((

APPLE Fix that thing i want my Covers back!!! 🙂

And i also can't get it why it only not shown the Music Files any other Files work like a a charm!

Aug 13, 2011 4:15 PM in response to sdevan

How is that Possible? Re-Installed OSX Lion Completly New from DVD without Upgrading from Snow Leopard first to get this Issue working but nothing worked for me :-(

Mhh dunno why it won't work it must be a Bug or maybe a Wrong Setting in Lion!

So Quick Look and a Normal Folder with Music Inside will show you the Covers right?

Im not Talking of the iTunes folder!

Aug 13, 2011 4:28 PM in response to sdevan

THX but won't work for me!

I tried everything out i also test arround with Show Invisible files maybe something has Changed on Lion or figure out why the Covers will be Shown on the iTunes Media Folder if i add Music from my External Harddrive to iTunes and iTunes make a Copy of it in the iTunes folder. The Strange thing is if i Drag the Music File from the iTunes folder to the Desk or any other Folder the Cover is gone from the file^^

Aug 13, 2011 4:29 PM in response to Neptunez05

Wait a minute; a little confusion here. If I take my mp3 collection, which was not imported into iTunes and look at in a folder view, then I get only the music note icon and the song is mapped to iTunes. If I am in a standard finder view and look at music in my iTunes folder, then I get the album art. Which makes perfect sense to me since my album art is all imported via iTunes. I've never had album art for my mp3's so they have to show the generic icon.

Aug 13, 2011 4:35 PM in response to sdevan

The Covers are all in the file (Purchased .m4a) if i Press Get Info on iTunes/Cover it say's Cover in!

On a Normal Finder Window i can Change the Folder View in any what i wont it won't Read the Covers!

Finder Window Shown as Coverflow shown me all my Files with a generic Icon!

It must be a Issue of Lion because on Leopard it works Fine and my Files aren't Broken or something. Because on a Friends Mac Book Leopard the Covers are still there of my HDD and on my Windows Laptop too.

I defently don't get it How i set it up right on Lion!

Aug 13, 2011 5:00 PM in response to Neptunez05

That's Strange mhh Im trying something out and it looks it work sometimes but i have no Idea why!

I Imported all my Music on iTunes but won't let iTunes Manage or make a Copy of an Added file so my Music files are still on the External Harddrive.

After all files are Imported iTunes Load alot of Covers if click on Show in Finder an a Track in iTunes the Cover is Shown on the Finder if i Ressize now to Maximum on the Bottom right Corner all covers will be Loaded now on the Music Files.

But dunno How long they will be Shown. Dunno why but something must be Fixed on Lion to get this thing working^^

Aug 14, 2011 10:06 AM in response to MaikaCA

I found out that the Imported Music files get there Covers on Folder View back but you have to Import them into iTunes. If you Delete them from iTunes they Covers are gone again in Folder view. dunno why but it looks for me that Lion Read out the Cover Information of Music files from the iTunes Libary or something Like that to save some Resources or something.

The Problem for me is i would not Import all Music first to get the Covers because not all my Music is in iTunes!

I hope Apple got a Solution for that as soon as possible!

I hate Music files without Covers^^

Aug 25, 2011 2:07 AM in response to Neptunez05

Hi Neptunez05,

you're not alone and I hope someone at Apple will read this thread.

This is my configuration:

• All of my mp3 collection is on an external NAS (Synology)
  • "Music" share is mounted with SMB protocol
  • Folder structure on the samba share is "iTunes like" (Artist/Album/Track)
  • All of the MP3 covers are stored into files with MP3Tag (a Windows program working great with Wine).
  • iTunes is set to not copy music

With SL 1.6.8 and iTunes (don't remember if it was 1.4 already) everything was fine and the Finder window showed all of the covers, even if sometimes I had to refresh finder windows to make them appear.

After updating to Lion (10.7.1) and iTunes (10.4.1) some covers just disappeared and I'm not talking all of the mp3 of a folder (i.e. /Metallica/Black Album/*.mp3), I'm talking of just SOME mp3 within the same folder (i.e. "Enter Sandman" shows cover, "The Unforgiven" no cover).

As someone already said, I have no issues within iTunes, all the covers are shown, the problem is just with Finder and some underlying link with iTunes.

I did some test trying to rename a file (changing case of some letters) or changing tag info from iTunes and *BOOM* the cover just disappeared from Finder...not on iTunes.

OSX Lion Cover Problem - PLZ READ!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.