Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How secure is iPad when travelling?

I plan to take my WiFi only iPad 2 with me for about three weeks of travel. How secure will I be using free hotel, or Starbucks, or airport WiFi networks?

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz 8-core, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Radeon 5770

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 12:18 PM

8 replies

Aug 14, 2011 12:43 PM in response to WilliamL

There's no need to worry yourself over things like this, unless the information is highly confidential...

Few incidents occur where someone will actually bother to log onto a public network and then hack into others' computers/devices in order to gain access to information such as credit card numbers etc... computer viruses and trojans are much better designed for this kind of job.

If security really is a concern, consider using a VPN to access the internet after you have connected to a network.

Aug 23, 2011 12:43 PM in response to WilliamL

It doesn't make any difference if the WiFi network is secured or not if you are using HTTPS browser sessions. These SSL connections are encrypted regardless of whether the network is. Any web site where you are passing information which should be kept secure will use SSL (banking, credit card purchase, etc.).

However, be carefull that someone is not watching over your shoulder while you enter confidential information.

How secure is iPad when travelling?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.