Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie freezes with surround selected

During playback, I click on the audio ballon and select Surround, instead of Stereo, and the movie freezes and will not continue to play. If I reselect Stereo, it starts playback again. What gives?

My setup and Goal: To watch movies on my iPad/Living room TV and hide all our DVD discs in the basement. I use Ripit to rip only titles I own and then use it's Compress function (which uses Handbrake) to save it as an m4v and it gets placed in my iTunes folder. From there, I have my old MacBook acting as an HTPC, connected to the receiver via an optical cable, and S-video to my TV (No hdtv yet).

The optical cable works. The whole system works. I just can't get 5.1 surround. I use Perian, and have followed the steps to activate passthru via the terminal window, but I don't know if iTunes needs Perian to pass the audio through. I've also set up the Midi setup to be 48,000 Hz in 2ch-24bit. Interestingly, when I try to change iTunes to surround while pausing a movie, and the movie subsequently won't play until I switch back to stereo, this changes the Midi setup to Encoded, not 2ch.

Anyone else not able to watch a movie in Surround Sound and have it freeze when you select that option in iTunes?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 1:38 PM

13 replies

May 14, 2015 2:12 PM in response to tobylaura

I have the same problem, I do not have perian, so it is clearly not the problem for me.

It worked prior to me installing Yosemite.

I see movies through HDMI on my Macbook Pro connected to my DENON AVRHD

Very, very strange, as soon as I choose AC3 the sound freezes, and the movie freezes, cannot be played (unless I choose stereo again, then it works fine). If I would play something with AC3 in for example VLC, it works just fine, so it is just from rented moview in iTunes store, and as I said, it worked prior to isnalling Yosemite.

Anyone knows?

Movie freezes with surround selected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.